Ranger has antifreeze in oil

A year ago I had antifreeze in the oil of my 1993 Ford Ranger (4.0 litre V6). The mechanic found warped heads, planed them down, reinstalled everything and it was okay til now.

Now, antifreeze in the oil again, so he drains the oil pan, pressurizes the motor overnight and finds about a cup of antifreeze in the oil pan the next morning. So, obviously it's coming in somewhere.

The mechanic sends the heads to an engine rebuild place for testing again and they are fine. He said all of the gaskets appeared okay when they took it apart. Then he sends them the rest of the motor, they put everything back together, fill it with varsol and pressure test it overnight at 40 psi. Here's the kicker: no leaks anywhere, it holds.

Everyone is now scratching their heads because they cannot find anything wrong. I know that the 4.0 litre motors are prone to head problems, but I thought we had that covered with the replaning.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this type of problem with this motor?

Michael

Reply to
michael

One would assume that the engine was put back together with new gaskets at the "rebuild place". That would point to a faulty gasket.

Reply to
Advocate

My thoughts as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

THis may be likely but if it reappears, do not rule out a cracked block as the change in stress on the block from head replacement may and stopped leak for a while too if it is from a block crack. At this stage though it tends to point to a bad headgasket but close inspection of gaskets at tear down would have revealed the problem. Have the head retorqued after the engine heats and cools a time or two.

SnoMan

I cant see the original message so need more info

Did they rebuild the engine or just the heads / 4.0 or 3.0 ??

If just the heads you can also have a leak from timing cover into the oil pan or intake to valley if they didn't install the intake gaskets correct.

Reply to
JohanB

If no cracks and the surfaces were remachined, it is probably a gasket. Don't rule out the intake manifold gasket, or the manifold itself. Coolant passes through it, as well as the heads and the block. Another point here. You said the heads were machined down? If so, the intake manifold, probably doesn't fit as it did from the factory unless the manifold's mating surfaces to the head were also machined. Ron

Reply to
R&B