Price of diesel

When I bought my 2003 6.0L at the beginning of the year diesel cost less that regular gas. Today it was 15 cents more expensive then premium gas. How come? Will it ever be less than regular gas again?

Simon

Reply to
Shabtai Evan

Simon, the price of diesel is reflective of the price of home heating oil, as they are basically the same except for a few additives. Fuel oil is traded as a commodity on the open market and is high right now due to the season we are in. Venezuela has put in the market a large amount of heating oil and that is why you are seeing the price of diesel go down. As for the price, probably not until the market recognizes the benefits of diesel engines, but why do that when they last longer and we would not trade them in as often!

Reply to
Hate my F150

Simon, the price of diesel is reflective of the price of home heating oil, as they are basically the same except for a few additives. Fuel oil is traded as a commodity on the open market and is high right now due to the season we are in. Venezuela has put in the market a large amount of heating oil and that is why you are seeing the price of diesel go down. As for the price, probably not until the market recognizes the benefits of diesel engines, but why do that when they last longer and we would not trade them in as often!

Reply to
Hate my F150
090501070603020906020504 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

So far I've heard, saw, read, or it came to me in a dream that the price of diesel was going up because...

  • > When I bought my 2003 6.0L at the beginning of the year diesel cost
Reply to
Agave

I doubt it will be less than regular gas, unless of course something happens to disrupt the refineries that make regular gas. One problem no one has mentioned is new lower sulfur requirements going into effect in January. Don't feel bad, though, diesel has about 20% more energy per gallon than gasoline, so you're still probably getting a good deal.

Reply to
Chris Hill
030403070308060307050809 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hey, low sulfur was > >

Reply to
Agave

Supply and demand. I do not look for it ever to be cheaper again. Current admin pushed for more oil fired power plants when they took office in 2001 and those plants started coming on line in 04 and 05 increasing demand. Thye would not dream of pushing coal plants since we hav a 300 plus year supply of that. I look for diesel to cost evem ore in the future. I heat with heating oil here and it is sky high too. I am thinking of converting to propane next year because it has not skyrocketed.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Reply to
Agave

It is the same stuff. I talked to my distrubtor for heat oil in this area and they are a very big operation. They only difference is that heating oil has a dye added that glows under black light and diesel fuel does not. Refineries do not make and stock two grades of number 2 oil. It is all #2 diesel and then they add dye to the taxe free heating oil or mix some #1 with it to winter blend the number 2 in winter time.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

You're making that up. Propane and oil are totally non-interchangeable, and equipment-wise the uses are unrelated, so the supply and demand of each, and their prices, are pretty much independent over the short term.

Reply to
Joe
080705060106020103040006 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

You can read the whole th> You're making that up. Propane and oil are totally non-interchangeable, and

Reply to
Agave