Price of Diesel?

Does anyone have any ideas why diesel is selling at or above premium gasoline?

Reply to
SoK66

I live in the Four Corners, here diesel is the same or more than premium. No one here uses heating oil, you probably couldn't buy it here if you tried. Last time I checked the National price of diesel was much higher than regular. Odd, since diesel is basically kerosene and much easier to refine than gas.

Reply to
SoK66

Do you have a diesel Jeep?

If not, why bring up this diesel off topic bull shit again?

I am certain the only Jeeps that have diesel are in Europe and they could care less about the price of it in the USA.

Here is a link to the newsgroup Charter. I think maybe it's time you browsed it.

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike

SoK66 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have a diesel pickup which I use to trailer my two Jeeps.

It's a topic of general interest. Some of us want the answer, sorry if our conversations annoy you.

You would be wrong, and not for the first time. Liberty diesels for North America are on their way and will arrive at dealers soon. If the price of diesel stays where it is, then there's no economic rationale for the diesel option.

Mike, I think maybe you just need to chill out. This NG isn't your private forum. Frankly your condescending attitude towards some posters on-topic questions, incuding mine, have been annoying, rude, know-it-all driven and inappropriate. We appreciate your participation, however you could tone it down a bit.

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
SoK66

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well, Diesel is actually just a bit better than home heating oil. Yes, it does come out lower on the cracker than gasoline, but its also lower than kerosene. Diesel could be thought of as cleaner #2 fuel with less parafin and impurities, but with the addition of some additives. For cold climates, kerosene is blended to improve starting and flow characteristics.

Diesel costs more than gas because States tax all Diesel fuel as if you were driving a tractor-trailer. So really, anyone who drives a diesel car, pickup, or SUV is getting overcharged because the tax is based on a tractor-trailer's wear & tear on the roads, not a smaller vehicle.

Sounds to me like the basis for a class-action suite.

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Thanks, Robert. I won't hold my breath waiting for the lawsuit, but the price of diesel is hurting not only those of us with diesel rigs, but virtually everything from food to building materials, anything shipped over the roads.

Reply to
SoK66

You misspelled "considered a topic of general annoyance and that has been beaten to into a fine powder this year, along with why Hummers r Gr8 and why hydrogen isn't a superior fuel" up there, but I realize that most spell checkers would have missed it. HTH.

Your question has been answered at least twice in the past month:

First message. Follow the thread.

I have my doubts. At best you wanted to whine that you don't like a particular tax that you don't want to pay, which seems to be the answer to your question that you were seeking anyway.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Once again I will politely point you to the Charter of the newsgroup: ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

And seeing as you are unwilling to read it, I will quote it:

Some things that shouldn't be discussed....

-4 wheel drive vehicles made by other manufacturers

End quote.

Simple eh?

Therefore what part of "the only Jeeps that have diesel are in Europe" is wrong? They have been speculating about diesel Jeeps forever. The 'Fact' is, we don't have them in North America.

If the price of

This group has a Charter. I didn't write it.

If you aren't willing to respect the Jeepers on this forum by following the Charter, then expect to get flack about it including legitimate complaints to your ISP.

If you insist on posting off topic BS, maybe 'you' should go find a Jeep group without a Charter, lots of them exist and you can talk diesel and bull shit all day or until they also get tired of it.

And if you don't like my help or attitude, feel free not to read what I type.

Mike

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sorry Mike, You are wrong. There were Jeeps shipped in the US and Canada with factory diesel engines. There is one local Jeeper near me running Volvo TD in his Jeep. Diesel Libertys are scheduled for the US market this year. Any way you read the charter Diesel Jeeps are covered as being an acceptable topic. BTW, no where in the charter does it state that is a North American, or a USA only newsgroup so the fact that the majority of Diesel Jeeps have not been shipped here is irrelevant.

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just to fan the flames a bit......

Tom Greening

I'd like to hear more about the Volvo TD powered Jeep please. Is it a VOLVO made engine or the VW made six?

Also, just as a matter of fact, there were and are factory Jeeps in America with Diesels. Perkins and Cerlist.

Finally and to the price of diesel, categorically there is no effect on diesel prices from foreign made diesel vehicles on the road because their market share is so miniscule. A few nuts putting OM617's in YJs or TJs is going to be an order of magnitude less even.

Reply to
Ted

Either the Volvo nor Libby make a Jeep. Period.

God Bless America, =DFill O|||||||O

Perhaps you meant 'neither'. However the 'Libby' is factually a Jeep product...although it is not a off-road vehilce. But neither were Jeepsters or DJ's....were they? Nor the flightline tugs.

Reply to
Ted

Either the Volvo nor Libby make a Jeep. Period.

God Bless America, =DFill O|||||||O

Perhaps you meant 'neither'. However the 'Libby' is factually a Jeep product...although it is not a off-road vehilce. But neither were Jeepsters or DJ's....were they? Nor the flightline tugs.

Reply to
Ted

A Volvo TD ?? Never heard of that one.

The only TDs I know of are the 2.7 CRD ( found in GC - and is a Mercedes derived engine) and the 2.8 CRD ( found in the Liberty - and is a VM engine ). The XJ had a

2.5 CRD VM engine as well.

The 2.8 CRD looks good - on paper it puts out the same as my 5.9 AMC Wagoneer engine (295 lb/ft @1800 and 160 hp)

Dave Milne

The Volvo has to be a swap. The only Volvo car with a diesel sold here had the six cylinder VW engine which was troublesome. It would lose compression at roughly 100K miles and the car usually was scrapped or converted to US V6 or V8 gas power. Volvo makes some supposedly great engines but they aren't sold here and never went in Volvo cars in any case, the carmaking portion of Volvo having been sold to Ford, I think. Saab is GM.

We haven't had that much experience Stateside with CRD Benz engines-Benz quit selling diesels here for a four or five year period.(Ironically the first we may see of them is in the Thielert TAE125!) The OM 617 is the only Benz engine in auto trim you will find here. Thermo King reefer units and gensets used the fours but TK went to Isuzu almost twenty years ago, and the Benz fours-which might be OK for a flatfender if you put a turbo and a centrifugal governor pump on them-are way too small for a TJ-YJ.

Reply to
Ted