Q. Wiring CB Radio

I have a 2002 F150 and I am putting a CB radio in. I would like to have the power come from one of the accessory hot wires that only has power when the ignition is on.

Where can I get a diagram of the fuse box that tells which wires go where?

Reply to
The moderator

I'd want the CB on a constant hot wire, but that's just me.

Check the AutoZone website on the Repair link. That link has wiring diagrams and other diagrams. Don't know if it will have 2002, but I doubt Ford has changed anything for a number of years and I'm pretty sure the 2001 diagram would be the same. Other than finding someone with a Service Manual, maybe your local library or a mechanic friend?

Hope this helps.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

If it's just a plain old CB and you're not putting any fire in the wire (i.e. a linear amplifier), just drop down to the cigarette lighter and splice into the hot wire (in the center) it should be on a switched circuit on a truck that new. If you're going to go all the way to the fuse panel, you can get a clip for the spade type fuses and pick any one you like. Pull some out till the radio goes off, and use that one. But someone else suggested a constant hot, and I usually run my radio equipment off a point on or as close to the battery as possible, to avoid picking up any unwanted electric noise. (note: a good ground is very important)

JM .02

Reply to
Wheeler.Dealer

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
The moderator

It is better to wire it to a power source that is always on. Just remember to shut your radio off when you are done. You get less interference.

Reno

Reply to
Reno A. Cyr Sr.

I disagree with this post. I recommend that you wire a relay from a 'hot when on' location to route the power through the relay to your CB radio.

I think this is the best solution, particularly if you leave your vehicle outside on cold nights. If you forget to turn your CB off, you may not start in the morning.

Go to the library and look through a chiltons, it will have enough detail for what you want to do. The other choice is to look in the owner's manual at your fuse box. Look for options you don't have that are switched, and wire from there (Radio Shack has stuff for exactly this).

It is pretty easy, really.

Reply to
Peter Owitz

ACTUALLY, being an old cb'r from days past, it is BEST to wire them directly to the battery. Fused of course. The amount of drain a cb places on a battery won't keep the vehicle from starting the next morning anyway. Even if you did leave it on. If it does, then the battery is bad.

Reply to
Steve Barker