Questions: Belt off smog and it won't start? & throttle position sensor (Wandering idle).

Ok folks, here's the thing. I have a 1985 Bronco that has a 5.0 (302) EFI in it. On a whim I decided to take off the smog pump belt on this thing and see if it had any more power, and when I did it would not start. At all. Not even kick over. So I put it back, and it ran fine. So my question is this: Is this for real? Or is there a short in the engine compartment that I maybe brushed up against and caused it to disconnect, and when I put it back cause it to regain connection? Is this a part of the EGR or EEC-IV system? Is there a way I can unhook this thing and have the engine still run and start? On a slightly different note, I was wondering if having a bad or dirty throttle position sensor could cause the idle to wander as much as 400RPM on this thing? If so, should I clean it (and how) or get a new one? Thanks for hearing me, I'm still new to this.

Tim B.

Reply to
nobody_special

One problem Ford did not introduce EFI until 1986 in trucks.

Reply to
Doc

Really??, Well shit, I better send my '85 F150 back to Ford and have them put the correct carb and intake on, just 'cause you claim it ain't injected...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

Yer thinkin of the 300 CID six cylinder, the 302 got EFI in 85.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

That's odd, because its a EFI 85 Bronco. Doesn't change what its doing, anyone have any idea? Am I at least headed in the right area for the wandering idle? I can replace the throttle position sensor, but want to know that I'm headed in the right area at least. Thanks.

Tim B.

Reply to
nobody_special