2003 F150 XLT Flareside vibration problem

Hey all, here is my problem. I have a 2003 F150 4X4 with a 4.6 and a 4 speed auto trans. It has the XLT package with an extended cab/Flareside. I have had the truck back to the dealer 4 times now with vibration problems from 35 mph and up. The vibration shakes the whole truck when accelerating and cruising. There is no vibration coming from the brake rotors upon braking either. They have balanced the tires which were Generals and drive shaft. The original tires had 1900 miles on them. Last week, they changed the tires and installed the Continental SUV series. I still have this problem with 2300 miles on the truck now. I was wondering if any of you had similar problems and how was it resolved. To boot, when they changed the tires, the dealer damaged one of the aluminum rims so now they have to change that too. I understand that I might be eligible for the lemon law here in New Jersey for this.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Reply to
SJB

I'm having the same problems with my 2000 Ranger XLT Flareside 3.0 automatic

32,000 miles. I hope you find the problem. JT
Reply to
jt

Have they checked for an out of balance drive shaft? I have heard of this being a problem recently, even on new vehicles. With all the changes you have had with the other things I wouldn't be a bit surprised it is the drive shaft.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

. .

12:29am (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (SJB)

[...]

Steve, I would suggest that you ask around, and find a local tire shop, or a top quality general mechanic shop, and get a second opinion. One "outside" of the dealership. Something like this is normally checked out at no charge.

A really good tire man, or a general tech that's used to chasing down driveline vibrations, will be able to give you some piece of mind on this. The vibration could be in the engine, tranny, driveline, frontend.....who knows.

But.....

At this point......I wouldn't condem the tires or the driveshaft as the sole "suspect" to the problem. I also wouldn't disallow them either.

I recently worked on an SUV that had been to

3 other shops that had your exact symptom. (not a Ford) The vehical had went through wheel changes, tire changes, and u-joint replacements. One of the shops had actually taken the driveshaft out, replaced the joints, and had it balanced at a very reliable local driveline shop. The end result........I installed a USED driveshaft and the prob went away.

go figure

any whoo.....I would suggest you get another opinion or two on the symptom. It can't hurt.

good luck and let us know what you decide, MarshMonster ====== ======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The dealer wants to see the vehicle again for the day and have a Ford rep there at that time. I discussed with them about the lemon law and I was told if if came to that, Ford would replace the truck or give me back every dime I spent for it. We will see after I bring it in next week.

Steve

Reply to
SJB