Re: Piston Slap

I just find it hard to find out the pistons are aluminum? I thought they are steel....

Karl

Reply to
Karl Shoemaker

that really helps a company (frown)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Shoemaker

Guess it helps to "dig".

Karl

Reply to
Karl Shoemaker

"Charles Perry" started a controversy when he said in news:bfh3bk$elp6l$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-103962.news.uni-berlin.de:

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I can find no information about steel pistons in engines after @ 1940. Do you have a web site or other media source for information on these?

I would have to say that IF they were ever used in any engine after the aluminum piston was developed would be ignorance. The weight of steel pistons and the heat retention of steel would make it a totally improper material. The power loss to any modern engine would would far outweigh the durability benefits.

Reply to
Robotron Tom

"NJ Vike" started a controversy when he said in news:u6ZSa.15298$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net:

"Dome" being the name for a piston that is convex, in a way that usually rises above the deck height. Actually not a type as in the material used, which is what this discussion is about. :)

The Keith Black hypereutectic domed pistons in my bracket racer create a

12.8:1 compression ratio when combined with the 64cc chambers.
Reply to
Robotron Tom

steel

I believe he was thinking about cast iron piston rings and not pistons.

Reply to
Joe

If you read the specs for most of those engines they are using forged aluminum pistons. A couple of others are just plain wrong. I think a lot of confusion comes from the term "forged" a lot of people assume it to mean forged steel. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I know the difference but I couldn't resist throwing in those ;-)

Was it 110 octane and two batteries to start?

Reply to
NJ Vike

"Bob" wrote : >

: If you read the specs for most of those engines they are using forged : aluminum pistons. A couple of others are just plain wrong. I think a lot of : confusion comes from the term "forged" a lot of people assume it to mean : forged steel. : Bob : : Well, there you go. I kinda wondered, specially since I've personally never put one in anything (and I change a lot of pistons) - the 'confusion' comment seems right to me, too, then.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward

I have never seen a steel piston!....cc