rear antilock light o

I have a 91 Bronco with 351. 4x4 automatic. The rear antilock brake and emergency brake lights came on yesterday, and haven't shut off since. My rear brakes do need to be changed soon, as they are getting pretty worn. Would the brakes getting low have anything to do with that. I wouldn't think so, what about low brake fluid, the fluid appears to be fine in the reservoir.

Reply to
Pfunk20000

|I have a 91 Bronco with 351. 4x4 automatic. |The rear antilock brake and emergency brake lights came on yesterday, |and haven't shut off since. My rear brakes do need to be changed soon, as |they are getting pretty worn. Would the brakes getting low have anything to |do with that. I wouldn't think so, what about low brake fluid, the fluid |appears |to be fine in the reservoir.

There's only one sensor, it's in the differential, and it's less than $30 at any parts store. Replace it and see if the light goes away. ABS differential speed sensor Raybestos part# ABS530000 Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

In my opinion he will be just wasting $30 if he does that. If memory serves the speed sensor will not cause the red light to come on. The most common causes I've seen for both lights to be on are low brake fluid or a stuck master cylinder float, or a bad RABS valve. In any case he'd be better off to spend a little time or money doing the diagnostics instead of throwing parts at it. Bob

Reply to
Bob

My brake fluid was a little low, I added fluid to the correct level, and the 2 lights are still on.

Reply to
Pfunk20000

|> |I have a 91 Bronco with 351. 4x4 automatic. |> |The rear antilock brake and emergency brake lights came on yesterday, |> |and haven't shut off since. My rear brakes do need to be changed soon, as |> |they are getting pretty worn. Would the brakes getting low have anything |to |> |do with that. I wouldn't think so, what about low brake fluid, the fluid |> |appears |> |to be fine in the reservoir. |>

|> There's only one sensor, it's in the differential, and it's less than $30 |at any |> parts store. Replace it and see if the light goes away. |> ABS differential speed sensor Raybestos part# ABS530000 |> Rex in Fort Worth | |In my opinion he will be just wasting $30 if he does that. If memory serves |the speed sensor will not cause the red light to come on. The most common |causes I've seen for both lights to be on are low brake fluid or a stuck |master cylinder float, or a bad RABS valve. In any case he'd be better off |to spend a little time or money doing the diagnostics instead of throwing |parts at it.

I don't disagree. I have the same two lights on. Braking is fine, fluid level is fine. ABS is not working, very obvious in an emergency situation (which caused me to move it up on the priority list). Diagnostics info has not been that easy to come by, in my case. Also, for my '94 that diff speed sensor is only $13.84 + tax, which is cheaper and less time-consuming than any other diagnostics. When I decide how or when to fix something, several criteria enter in:

1 - Urgency - does it run, and is it safe? Do I have other vehicles I can use? 2 - Cost of tools, diagnostic equipment, or diagnostic services required to isolate the defective part. 3 - Cost of the part 4 - Difficulty of changing the part

In this particular case, the part is cheap, the installation is an easy 30 minutes, and I don't have to buy anything else or depend on anything else. It's also a common failure part, judging by the sales frequency of that number. If it doesn't fix it, the only thing left is the ABS computer, right?

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Rex If you look around the area of the E brake cable under the dash on the drivers side you'll find a black wire with an orange stripe. With the key in the run position temporarily ground the wire and watch the ABS light. After the wire is ungrounded it should flash an error code for you. Bob

Reply to
Bob

|> Rex in Fort Worth | | |Rex |If you look around the area of the E brake cable under the dash on the |drivers side you'll find a black wire with an orange stripe. With the key in |the run position temporarily ground the wire and watch the ABS light. After |the wire is ungrounded it should flash an error code for you. | Bob

Bob That sounds easy enough. Is this one of the readily available codes, or is it like the air bag codes that are non-published? I'll still install the sensor since I already bought it. If that doesn't kill the code I'll go this route. Almost would have to be the ABS computer if it's not this one sesnor, because I don't think there's anything else in the system. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B