1978 F-100

I have a 1978 F-100 and the engine is waaaay tired....recently had the transmission (C-6) rebuilt, and was wondering what V-8's other than a

302 would bolt up to this transmission? Hoping either a 351W or 390 would fit?
Reply to
J Grant

351W will bolt up to your trans...390 will not.

I understand there are differences in the balancing of the flexplates between various small blocks, so be sure to learn them before mixing and matching parts.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

Thanks! I forgot to mention that right now my truck has the 300 inch six in it...don't know if that makes a difference or not..I'm used to working on Ch**y's...lol

Reply to
J Grant

The 302, 351W and 351C will all bolt up to that bellhousing. If you were able to get your hands on 1 a limited production 400 was made with that bellhousing bolt pattern as well.

Reply to
Bill Beyer

The 400 I had that would bolt up resides in a drag-racing 'stang. Guy I traded it to rebuilt my 360 into a 390. He runs nines.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

That 400 you mentioned...is that the same as the 351M/400 that was used a few years?

Reply to
J Grant

The 400 is the same spec at the 351M/400 that was used from 77-82 in F-series. The only difference is that it has the smaller bellhousing bolt pattern. There's been a few of those 400 blocks floating around on eBay for the past few months. They're sometimes called 400 FMX blocks. Last one I saw on eBay went for $350 for the bare block.

Reply to
Bill Beyer

Does anyone have a link to a website with this kind of information for different vehicles?

Reply to
John Busby

What kind of vehicles? It's more a matter of engine types than anything else. The 300 (6), 302, 351W, 351C and a very limited number of 400 all share the same b.h. bolt pattern. The 351M, most 400, 429 and 460 all share the same b.h. bolt pattern. The 352, 360, 390, 427 and 428 all share the same basic block which has a unique b.h. bolt pattern.

Reply to
Bill Beyer

Well, I was thinking of Ford and Chevy trucks, for example. I currently own a '93 F150 with 210,000 + miles on it, and have been thinking about replacing the engine with something with more power. It still runs OK, but is showing the mileage in the engine performance.

Reply to
John Busby
210,000 miles? hehe its just getting broke in good! My old girl has 499,568 as we speak, and still runs and drives, but its a matter of time before even bar and chain oil for a chain saw is being burned too! The only reason I want to put an 8 in it is the sound...the old six always had plenty of pulling power, though its kinda sluggish on the open road.
Reply to
J Grant

Don't forget this ok? If you put in anything other than a 302 etc small block you'll be adding weight to the front end and for it to "sit like it was" you'll need heavier front springs.

The extra weight of a big block V8 in your case would transform your old pickup into a different, unfamiliar pickup. Simply refreshening the old "hot water 6" will provide quite a bit more power let alone if you make a few other modifications like a good "economy cam" (which is "hotter" than a 1965 stock cam) and a few other things.

Anyway my opinion (if it counts for anything;) is to do some studying up on modifications (and their effects, good and bad!) and fix up your old 300-6. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj