Reprograming new chipkeys?

The dealer wants $125 bucks for a new key and to reprogram it. I found a web site (

) that offers fordchipkeys for $16.50 and said I could reprogram the key myself, check theowners manual. I checked the owners manual and it said I could reprogramthe spare key myself but I needed two pre-programmed key to do so. I don'thave two keys, I lost one. My question is: Can I reprogram the spare key having just one pre-programmed chipkey by performing the operations described in the owners manual twice with the same key?

Reply to
Phoxie Phreak

absolutely not. You must have two keys if you do not have a scan tool. The process is to turn the first key on for approx. 5 seconds, remove the key and insert the second key. Turn to the on position for another 5 secs then insert the third key for 5 secs. This is a security against theft. Be careful purchasing aftermarket keys. Some are not compatible with certain vehicles.

The dealer will connect the scan tool and go into a 10 minute security mode. After ten minutes it will allow them to erase any previous codes and permit up to eight new/existing keys to be programmed.

The average cost of a dealer key is $25.00 plus 1 hr labor. It takes about the parts department approx. five minutes to cut the new key code and approx. fifteen minutes to program the keys to your car if they get it right the first time.

Reply to
PC PODD

Thank you "PC PODD" for your reply. I will take your advice and have my key made at the the dealer.

Reply to
Phoxie Phreak

I too have one key. Here in the Houston area they wanted $40 for the key and another $40 to program it. I figger the only thing I'm gonna do is lock the key in the truck, so I had a regular key cut( it will unlock the door) and carry it in my wallet.(and pray I don't lose the real key.) Jack

Reply to
Jack Sloan

Reply to
Snowseeker

Many dealerships will program the key as a courtesy, just charging for the key. This usually only happens if you purchased the vehicle from the same dealer.

John

Reply to
PC PODD

the blue oval dealer that sold me the truck used forgot to program the new spare key and it shutdown the electronics in teh truck and it took over a half hour for them to figure out how to get the truck started. I don't know how much ford charges a dealer to become certified. john

Reply to
John Cadella

hey John, specifically, and for the rest of the group. I'm a little unclear of how the key works. I mean, I understand that using a key that doesn't come with the truck will shut down the engine, but what happens of someone try's to hot-wire the vehicle?

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

I went to a locksmith today. He charged me $65 bucks to cut the key and program it. He also cut and programmed a 2nd key for another $40. Quite a deal considering the dealer wanted $120 bucks for one key.

Now I have 3 programmed chipkeys and one strait cut key just for opening the door. I use the strait cut key as a hid-a-key and I hid one chipkey inside the truck.

If you don't already have a third programmed chipkey you should buy one now. You need 2 chipkeys to program a third. I suggest everyone should have 3 programmed chipkeys. Then if they should loose one they can purchase a blank chipkey online for $16.50 plus shipping online at (

) and have it cut by a locksmithfor about 3 bucks and reprogram it yourself according to the instructions inthe owners manual. You'll save a lot of money. But remember, you need 2programmed chipkeys to program a third one yourself. BTW: The device he used to reprogram the key can also reprogram the odometer!

Reply to
Phoxie Phreak

Playsd,

The programmed key gives a signal to the transmitter (a small device that is located around the key hole, you can't see it because it's behind the plastic cover). This transmitter sends a signal to the receiver(usually located in an electronic multi-function module, depending on model) which determines a good signal allowing the engine to start. As far as hot wiring the vehicle, anything is possible however very difficult due to the distributorless ignition and computer systems.

Reply to
PC PODD