Wah!

As many of you know, I have been slowly getting a 1978 F-250 back in running shape for towing.

I thought I had it pretty well dialed in when the darn thing conked out on me the other day. I checked the obvious stuff and it wasn't getting any gas.

I got that problem figured out today and then I turned up the idle jets a bit which brought my extended idle temperature down. I guess it was idling a little lean. Sounds good now.

I was feeling god so I figured what the heck. I'll see about fixing those instrument lights.

The dash came off easy enough. The speed cable popped right off. Ah Ha! I found the problem. The plug in the back of the instrument cluster wasn't plugged in all the way. I reached around to see how much slack cable I had. There was plenty so I slid the instruments out of the dash, and.......

...... the weight of the instruments was too much for that old heat rotted plastic. The whole thing came apart dumping the instruments on the floor of the truck.

I think its time to part it out, and buy a new Chevy.

Bob La Londe Yuma, Az

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe wrote

:-) Hey Bob, now's a good time to pick up an 03. Lots of rebates. I just got a new 03 Chevy Express van . I just told the fleet man what I wanted, and he found it in LA. The rebates totaled $5000. js

Reply to
fly in the ointment

Tommorow I'm buying a '76 F100 for $300, one owner Tucson truck. He let his teenage son install a CD player and poof the interior is toast. Not sure what I'm going to do with the dangged thing.

300-automatic, no power anything, no A/C. I figure I'm paying $100 too much for it, what do you think? Going to either way, just wondered what you guys thought. :)

That sucks! :/

I had a Phoenix car once that the fixed windows -rattled- on!

Don't know what the instrument panel will cost, just get the dumb thing from back east... after all it ain't steel. ;)

You're trying to get an old junker going and the instrument panel problem is all it takes to kill your enthusiasm? But you're just kidding right? :)

Alvin in AZ

ps- pecan grove schooler here, from back when all the pecan trees were still there :) (2002 8th street if I remember right)

Reply to
alvinj

Hey Bob and Alvin, Let me know if you want to get rid of those trucks. I'm in Tucson and would like a shot at them. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

Reply to
Ken Engle

Which truck/s you have now?

I don't know what I'm going to do with the burnt up one.

Make a pickup-bed trailer? Get it going but make a "Rocky Point" truck out of it? ;) Haul it to willcox and leave it in a friend's bone yard there? Also getting a '77 LTD wagon with a re-built 390, my son's going to get it going and drive it for awhile then it'll "go to willcox" too?

His '71 F250 went to Mexico along with his Miller welder and everything else. :/

I figure I'll be buried in my '75 F150. :) (with the turn signal on;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Uhhh a 77 LTD should not have a 390 in it. Last FE in a pass car was 1970 if I remember correctly. The pkups had them untill 77. KB

Reply to
Thundersnake #9 remove spam to reply

Heh. Gotta love engine swaps.

Thing is, when I rebuilt my 360 in the '73 F-100 I once owned, I put 390 guts in it. Talk about a tough truck. I understand it's still on the road, too. Unfortunately, not owned by me.

I get by with a wee wittle Wanger.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

LOL. This truck started out needing brakes about six or seven years ago. I just redid the brakes and put on new off road tire (all the money I had at the time) and it jumped time. It sat for a couple years until I bought an engine. Then it sat for another year until I put it in. It started right up, and the transmission bound up and the case cracked. Sounded like a gun shot.

It sat over puddle of slowly congealing trany fluid for another year. Then I bought a rebuilt trany for it. Which sat for another year before I put it in.

In the mean time the trany lever for the kick down linkage was lost, and the throttle linkage was lost.

The trany lever I found at a junkyard for five bucks. The throttle linkage was another story. Basically it was only used on one year of truck. Finally a regular in this group sent me some good bits and pieces to make one.

The instruments taking a dive just about killed me (inside). Aurgh! I really only want a good truck for towing. I have more than half the price of a new truck invested in this one, and I still don't have a good truck.

I actually visited a couple dealerships yesterday. I found a truck I may just buy.

No the instruments is not enought o make me give up on it. Its just one of many problems this truck has been blessed with. I imagine that as soon as I get the instruments back together the rear end will lock up and explode, or the cabe bolts will all rbeak tearing off the bed and leaving me sitting int he street with the chassis running down the road away from me.

LOL.

-- Bob La Londe Yuma, Az

Bob La Londe

I have a 1965 F-250 in kinda rough condition that starts and runs just fine.

I haven't registered it since December, but I have used it for moving things around the yard at my office several times. I really hate to see it sit and go to pot. If you want a project this would be a good truck. It has a utility bed on it so it isn't worth much as a collector, but the cab is sound.

It has a 352 with the cast iron trany (I forget what its called) that I had rebuilt a couple years ago. I was told a lot of race car builders like that trany becuase its so strong. I eliminated the water filled trany fluid cooler and put a conventional heavy duty trany fluid cooler in front of the radiator. I might still have the water cooled one around if I haven't pitched it.

If it trips your fancy make me an offer.

-- Bob La Londe Yuma, Az

Bob La Londe

Wow. :/ I'm going to let that be a lesson to me not to expect anything worth while from a vehicle that isn't bought running! :)

I still haven't brought the truck home the guy can't find the title.

But it turns out it's a bone-stock '76 F-100 3 speed, column shift. Glad to have found out it ain't no stinkin automatic! ;)

We didn't get a chance to talk much about it before, I saw there was a lever sticking out of the column. I looked for it but couldn't tell with everything so messed up inside, there -is- a bolted down access panel on the floor, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion is was automatic. Whew. :)

It looks good, just has -really- darkly tinted windows! :) The plastic smoke on the insides of the windows does -not- rub off. I'm figuring on pulling the cab off to work on it like my "chevy pickup" buddies do theirs. Hey they might as well, the cab mounts are always shot on old chevy pickups. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Oh well i guess i didn't need an old 390 that much anyway. ;) Thanks TS#9. ;)

It's really weird of me but I never really looked at it close enough to tell if it's a 460 or what the hell it is. I was told it was "a

390 bored to 400" but it's second hand information from the kid that owned it before. Shoot, I look over engines in the junk yard better that I looked this one over. :) It runs and my son's taking it over.

I mounted four tires yesterday and got the sucker up off the ground at least. The "never leak" crap someone put inside the tires in the past rusted three of the rims and made breaking the beads a bitch, with my junky tools, that is. ;)

Wasn't really a plan, as much as buying myself an "option" to do just that to my 360 someday.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj