New key price

The local dealer has quoted me $300 for a new key to my 2000 Golf. Argh!

Is there a cheaper way to get a key?

Reply to
toller

buy a key off ebay get a new blade cut. make sure you know the immobiliser PIN code the key to the immobiliser code the key to the central locking.

rgds

Reply to
Alec

Okay, how do I know the immobiliser PIN, and how do I code the key?

Reply to
toller

If you have the original bundle of keys then there will be a plastic tab with a 7 digit PIN number. Otherwise request it from the dealer. They may or may not give it to you, policy has been changing here but you may be ok.

Coding is done by non-vag people via Vag-Com (RossTech.com). You may know someone with access.

Rgds

Reply to
Alec

The 7 digit PIN was NEVER on any tabs... at least here in the USA! The PIN is no longer visible by any dealer since the programming when online directly with VW.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yep... got mine right here...

8 digits on one side, 2 and 5 on the other.

Reply to
Don Mac Phee