new key from dealer?

I bought my used '93 camry and it came with the secondary key (only unlocks driver's side door) and the guy I bought it from mentioned something about taking it to a toyota dealership where they can reprint your car's key after seeing the VIN. is this true? what does it cost, on average?

jrm

Reply to
Jrm

There is a 4 digit number that is staped on the drivers door handle --- inside the door, after you remove the door panel. It can be used to program the key maker machine to cut a new master key. When car was bought it came with the keys -- a small stamped aluminum piece about 14 x 3/4".

unlocks

after

Reply to
Wolfgang

It is true. Costs about $5 US per key.

Reply to
O.B.

oops 1/4x3/4"

program

came

about

Reply to
Wolfgang

unlocks

about

after

oh really? because I was told to expect to pay about $50. not true I guess?

thanks, jrm

Reply to
Jrm

The OEM Toyota key blanks are like $9 each (those with the black plastic top) --- aftermarket Curtis keys should be under $10 cut. I really don't think the key is connected to the VIN though. Would be too easy to look thru window and copy down the vin of one you like in a parking lot and then have key made - return and drive it off.

true

Reply to
Wolfgang

excellent. thank you.

then

well, perhaps if you happen to have the title and corresponding I.D. as well.....

jrm

Reply to
Jrm

I.D.

Reply to
parklights

Damn man, I haven't found a dealer yet that has the OEM blanks! I'm a bit anal about some things, and I want a rubber tipped Toyota key, dammit!

Oh, and the $50 price is if you need a 'chip' key that needs to be programmed for your car...N/A on a '93...

Reply to
HachiRoku

The dealer *can* look up the key code through the VIN some '85's and all newer. But, you need your picture id, the registration and your first born son... (only kidding on the Registration...or one of those things I mentioned...)

Also, having a good relationship with your dealer helps! But he's *still* going to ask you for the registration and a picture ID!!!

Reply to
HachiRoku