Sport trac fuel consumption

Troops..I am looking at purchasing a Ford Explorer 4X4 sport trac. Since I am a travelling sales man putting on huge miles gas consumption is a prime consideration. What are you guys seeing for hi-way mpg,s?

Reply to
Mike Broda

My experience has been 10-15 around town and 18-20 on the highway. My wife's 2002 Taurus SE wagon does 14-16 around town and 27-29 on the highway. If you've got to travel a lot and gas consumption is not covered by your employer then I'd run like hell from the SUV vehicles. You know gas will hit $3.00 w/i a year or so, so why get stuck with something that will cut deeply into your income?

Reply to
Reece Talley

I have had a 2001 4x4 Sport Trac since 8/2000. The lowest gas mileage I have gotten was 15 MPG; the highest was 20 MPG. The average over the course of a year has been 18 MPG. This is almost all rural driving, with very little sustained highway cruising and virtually no city driving.

It's a truck, so gas mileage is not going to be anywhere near Toyota Prius territory. OTOH, it is a very comfortable and versatile truck, and I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another one when the time comes.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

Why do you care what mileage Explorer owners are getting? If you are driving huge miles, and gas mileage is a concern, you certainly don't want to drive an Explorer. You can probably achieve nearly *double* the mileage of the Explorer with a small wagon or a 4 door hatchback with a 4 cylinder and manual transmission, and have plenty of room to carry all the sample cases, etc.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Reply to
Mike Broda

I'd consider waiting for the Escape Hybrid.

||> Why do you care what mileage Explorer owners are getting? If you are ||> driving huge miles, and gas mileage is a concern, you certainly don't want ||> to drive an Explorer. You can probably achieve nearly *double* the ||mileage ||> of the Explorer with a small wagon or a 4 door hatchback with a 4 cylinder ||> and manual transmission, and have plenty of room to carry all the sample ||> cases, etc. || ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B