Steering Pump

Have to change steering pump in 91 Bronco. Is it the same as the steering box? How hard is is to change? I have a lift with 35's for tires. Should I get something better than OEM, for the bigger tires?

Reply to
Pfunk20000

If you do not know the difference between a steering box and a power steering pump, I would let a shop or good mechanic do it. john

Reply to
johnny

Isn't it odd how he doesn't know the difference between a power steering pump and the steering box but knows that he has a lift and 35" tires? LOL

Reply to
bomar

BTW, I had a mechanic tell me my steering pump/box was leaking a few months ago. I know what a steering pump is, the belt is hooked up to it etc. But is the pump hooked up to the box? BTW just cause it sounds odd I wasn't exactly sure the difference isn't that odd. I work on the F16 fighter jet daily, so I am mechanically inclined. I have even changed motors on older trucks before myself. I asked a simple question guys, so if you guys wanna belittle me go ahead. Go and ask the mechanic I talked to, why they said pump/box then?? Cause they are 2 different items correct?? BTW, 2 different places told me pump/box.

Reply to
Pfunk20000

Yes.

2 different beasts. The pump will have the pulley on the front. The steering box will have the shaft from the steering wheel running to it. Hoses connect the pump and the box and vice versa. As to WTF is leaking, who knows. Crawl under it and see.

Reply to
bomar

You'll need a pulley puller to change the pump. It's not difficult other than that, just nuts and bolts, making sure to align the pulley properly, and properly bleeding the pump after it's on. Don't really think you need one any better than stock, I don't know that I've seen a performance upgrade for a pump really, unless you go with a race unit, but that would be overkill for your application. The steering box is attached to the pump by the hydraulic lines, a high pressure line, with pressed fittings, and a low pressure return line with a simple clamp. The steering box is something that may need replacement, but doesn't necessarily wear at the same rate as the pump. If you have a lot of excess "play" or "slop" in your steering wheel, you may need a new steering box. Oversize tires and a lifted suspension increase the wear on these items. You'll need a large ball joint tool to take off the pitman arm from the box if you replace it. Some call the tool a "pickle fork".

Good luck man.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

What he said! :)

Except for maybe the pickle fork part, I suggest you use a "pitman arm puller" to pull the pitman arm. the pullers he and i mentioned are sold to you by pepboys etc then a full refund when you return them. Don't skimp on those. They turn it into an easy straight forward job "like he said".

Steering box? Never heard it called that, always heard steering "gear".

"big tires and a lift kit = cracked frame next to the steering gear"

-according to a welder that specializes in vehicle frame repair

He suggests fish-plating the sucker before it breaks including around the shock towers. I was in his shop getting my frame welded from using duel shocks with no lift kit etc. (miles of dirt road)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Picklefork, steering box,

Obviously regional slang at play......

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Ooops I didn't make myself clear on the steering box's;) pitman arm puller. ;) I mean you shouldn't use a pickle fork on the steering box;) but instead a "puller" that uses a theaded rod that pulls the pitman arm off straight without hammering sideways against the steering gear's bearings. If it's going to be turned in for a core, after buying a rebuild, I guess a guy could go for it but still it won't be as easy and may not even be as quick if you use the pickle fork. Because that is one big splined shaft and the taper is shallow, both.

When borrowing the "steering pump pully puller" might as well borrow a pitman arm "puller" too. I happen to have my own but would like to get a pully puller set to go with it someday.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

.That's the way it is with most people that ruin trucks with that shit.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'm with you all the way on that....

Reply to