S70 power steering pump - easy to change?

Two quick questions for the group....

I have a 98 S70 with ~75K on the odometer and the power steering pump sounds suspiciously like it's in the early stages of a slow painful death.

  1. Is there any way to check it or test for sure that the pump is the problem?
  2. Is the P. S. pump easy to change out myself?

Thanks for any and all advice.

DS

Birmingham, Alabama

Reply to
David

Hi! Maybe its not the pump. These problems are far more common. Perhaps you should try them first:

Patrik

Hi chappies. My V70 steering gets very noisy when the Power steering fluid level gets about 3mm below it's normal level. When turning sharply, parking, or generally using near-full lock, the steering whines and generally makes a right racket. My fluid needs just a drop every 2 or 3 months. It's had a tiny leak for 3 years now, and I have just bought a new rack to fit myself for the MOT. Trouble is, the vehicle has just passed the MOT test without needing the new rack! Tester said he saw no signs of serious leak, so I guess I won't get round to changing the rack till I have to! Check your fluid level, and if it has sunk slightly, don't worry, just top up. As for changing the pump, it's easy, just drop off the aux drive belt, and unbolt it. Difficult part is changing the pulley over to the new one. I'd recommend getting a pump from a breakers yard. Hope this helps. Joe Landy. Peterborough UK. V70 TDI 229,000 miles.

Reply to
Joe landy