thinking strange thoughts on engine swap

Hello all, I have had a thought that has run through my head for some time. I have a 88' F-150, not to much to talk about in terms of how fancy she is. She has the 4.9L (why did they kill this motor? anyway) and she has had a rough life. This is where my thoughts get a little crazy, I would love to put a diesel into the hole that this engine will leave. I was wondering how large of a conversion it would be, and if something like the 6.9 or maybe 7.3 is just to big to move into that space. Oh well, life is but a dream, as this idea probably is.

Reply to
quakeholio

|Hello all, I have had a thought that has run through my head for some time. |I have a 88' F-150, not to much to talk about in terms of how fancy she is. |She has the 4.9L (why did they kill this motor? anyway) and she has had a |rough life. This is where my thoughts get a little crazy, I would love to |put a diesel into the hole that this engine will leave. I was wondering |how large of a conversion it would be, and if something like the 6.9 or |maybe 7.3 is just to big to move into that space. Oh well, life is but a |dream, as this idea probably is.

I'm sure that would fit. How about a Cummins? I've seen a site that offers conversion kits to put the Dodge drivetrain in an F150.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

The Diesel is heavy. You will need to change suspension parts. The tranny isn't the same. The radiator and everything that goes with it is bigger. You'll need two batteries.

You'd have more fun blueprinting your 4.9L, then converting it into a mild hybrid. If you do a lot of city driving you might break even on the expense after a couple of years.

With a "mild hybrid" when you stop the engine turns off, and when you touch the gas it starts super-instantly and is ready to perform as if it had never switched off. Some states don't allow modifications that are needed to do this.

Now if you do go Diesal, why not a mild hybrid Diesal? That would be really interesting. Diesals idle so cheap that it would bring much savings, but it would be environmentally kind. The 6.9 is ready to provide power immediatly upon starting. (warm, of course). For a mild hybrid diesal, get and air starter.

Whatever you do, if you get a Diesal, inspect or replace the ring gear before you put it in.

Reply to
Bill M

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net:

What is the site that you found that on? I have some experiance with cummins in McDon's and Case. Always thought that it would be awsome to get the sound of a McDon 9000 under a hood of a truck.

Mark "Q" Tanner

Reply to
quakeholio

He probably wants something with some power.

Reply to
Steve Barker

| snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in |news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net: | |> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:23:31 GMT, quakeholio |> wrote: |> |>|Hello all, I have had a thought that has run through my head for some |>|time. I have a 88' F-150, not to much to talk about in terms of how |>|fancy she is. She has the 4.9L (why did they kill this motor? anyway) |>|and she has had a rough life. This is where my thoughts get a little |>|crazy, I would love to put a diesel into the hole that this engine |>|will leave. I was wondering how large of a conversion it would be, |>|and if something like the 6.9 or maybe 7.3 is just to big to move into |>|that space. Oh well, life is but a dream, as this idea probably is. |> |> I'm sure that would fit. |> How about a Cummins? I've seen a site that offers conversion kits to |> put the Dodge drivetrain in an F150. |> |> |> Rex in Fort Worth | |What is the site that you found that on? I have some experiance with |cummins in McDon's and Case. Always thought that it would be awsome to |get the sound of a McDon 9000 under a hood of a truck. | I had it bookmarked, but I can't find it at the moment. It was

or something very close to that.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B