Help with a 1978 460

My 1978 ClubWagon with the 460 engine has suddenyl decided to act up. It still has a little less than 100K miles on the engine and was running strong.

The van was borrowed by another driver just prior to a very cold front moving in. It leaked a bit [more] of oil during the freezing temperatures and refused to even turn over until it warmed up a bit. The battery was quite low as well.

I charged the battery and turned it over that afternoon no problem. After a few turns it chugged and bucked and blew smoke all over running extremely rough. I opted to check the carb and plugs and found the two front cylinders on either side (#'s 4 and 8?) were most likely not firing at all or well - one plug-wire loose and on the other side the spark plug itself was loose.

I have since cleaned the carb, replaced the plugs and the wires. It runs much more smoothly and doesn't smoke -- but it has a very loud sucking noise coming from the rear (this is in an econoline, so without the engine cover I am sitting right next to it. It is also racing quite a bit.

I am worried running the engine for more than a few moments or even driving it might do damage. The oil pressure guage reports OK, but could the oil pump have gone? What other areas should I be checking to make sure I am not harming the motor?

For an engine this old should I use the dealership or find an independant?

The body has rust holes in it, but the vehicle is still aweful useful, so I would like to get it running nicely again without spending a fortune. I know it leaks a bit from the oil pan, and would consider having a new gasket done if the engine is still in good shape.

Reply to
Steph

Steph wrote in news:Xns95C24E30AE7EBskipatroluunet@24.25.203.148:

for one thing the 460s of that era used a sandwitch intake gasket that almost always leaks air into the intake runners from the sandwitch portion sucking in. very common. that might not be all that is wrong with it but I would bet good money on that being part of it. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Okay more updates on this. The engine seemed to settle down and run fairly well again, until I revved it up then it got a little louder, with a tapping or clacking sound coming from the rear.

Is this the valve lifters? Oil pump? What can I do to correctly diagnose this, and better yet how do I fix it.

Most importantly, should I be running the engine (or even driving) if it begins to make the clack/tap sound again? I am having trouble finding a shop that will work on the '78 460 in San Diego, so any referrals appreciated.

Reply to
treger