v8 cylinders

An inquiry for those willing to share expertise. (thank you) The plastic lable on the side of my 98 f-150 says V8 the guys at the local grease monkey have it (from the invoice) as a 5.4 liter.

I've just paid it off, and my state title the finance company just sent me says it's a 6 cylinder.

how do I check, and a- if the title is wrong do I care to advise the state. b- if the car logo element is wrong, do I care so far as the dealership that sold it to me (a transaction that occured in Oct 2000) c- if the car logo is wrong, does it make a bit of difference towards my insurance (full) coverage?

Reply to
Marke DB Johnston

Open the hood. How many spark plugs are there? :-) You can look for the cylinders themselves, or you can look at the distributor or the distributorless ignition box (I don't know which your truck would have).

I don't know about these.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Brace yourself, you actually have to open the hood to check this. If it has sparkplug wires then it's NOT a 5.4l V8. If it has wires then look at the engine and count how many wires there are. If it is 6 then it's a 4.2l V6, if there are 8 then it's a 4.6l V8. If there are no wires than it's a

5.4l V8. If it says Honda then you opened the wrong hood.

-- 'Fritz the Cat' Blackburn VP-94 Techrep NAS New Orleans

An inquiry for those willing to share expertise.

Reply to
Fritz Blackburn

If you can't tell from the other answers, post the entire VIN, and somebody can decode it for you.

If you ever intend to sell it, yes.

Did you pay for a V8 and get a 6-cylinder? I would be upset, perhaps even litigious (sp?).

Would probably depend on your state. Why not check with your insurance co.? Just ask them if the rate would change if you bought a V8 of the same model. This way you don't let on that you might have one already.

Reply to
gw

I kinda doubt he knows what the hood is.

Reply to
Perry

Ya know , these days it ain't as easy to work on these things as it once was. I have a 2001 f150 and I can't find plugs or wires on the thing. I have worked on every car I've ever had. The first was a '29 model A in'62. Where are those damned wires and plugs? 4.6 triton

Reply to
Jack Sloan

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hey you can never tell about us Johnston's. Sly and slick like a fox or just dumber than shit? :) That's for you to figure out on your own there Steve. :/

Alvin Johnston in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I knew there were three engines for f150's my model year, a 6 cylinder and two sized 8's but not how to tell them apart at all..

No, I can't know everything about everything. that is (*among other things*) what usenet is for, I got some excellent answers from some folks. (to those- thanks)

If I lift the hood, I can ID the battery, the engine, radiator, the oil filter & the dipstick, and the washer fluid resviour(sp?).. I can change a tire if I get a flat. I can add gas & oil.. and I'm not good much beyond that with car engines.

Reply to
Marke DB Johnston

There should be a sticker under the hood someplace ( it's too cold to go out and check where it is on my 2001 F150, but I remember seeing it) and along with emisison hose routing it will say something like 5.4 ( mine..the bigger

8), or 4.6 ( smaller 8) or I think 4.2 for the 6. That should settle this once and for all...oh I think it says it on the top of the engine too, but I forget exactly where.

Oh and I know what you mean, looking at these engines, it's not immediately apparent just where the spark plugs even are in order to count them!

Reply to
Mikey

There's an engine / emissions certification label under the hood. It will have the engine size on it. Also, right on top of the 4.6 or 5.4 there is a great big plastic thingy that has the 4.6 or 5.4 molded right into it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'm not good much beyond that with car engines.

This is SCARY!

Reply to
Robert

Robert wrote:

If you can't lift it, it's a V8. HTH!

-- frosty

Reply to
frostalicious

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:20:27 -0500, Marke DB Johnston rearranged some electrons to form:

Umm... count the spark plugs maybe?

Reply to
David M

Ahhhh... there it is! :) Bureaucrat mistake! Oh heck, that can't be it. :/ Buraucrats never make mistakes. :/

Alvin in AZ (bad attitude, libertarian)

Reply to
alvinj

I've just paid it off, and my state title the finance company just sent me

*************** Iffin' ya gotz toyota coroola's in the air filter it's a six, ifn' ya gotz toyota mini vans in da air filter it's an eight! Shake rice from filter and enjoy..... 6 or 8....
Reply to
JimD

The plugs are under the coil packs, which are kind of under the fuel rails next to the injectors. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.