using 4x4

My 1990 BroncoII has automatic locking hubs and electronic control of the transfer case. Is it ok to engage (or leave engaged) the 4x4 while on wet pavement? Often times, especially during the Fall or Spring transistions, parts of the roadways will be clear apart from being wet and other parts are covered in snow and/or ice. It would be great if I can leave the 4x4 engaged to get better traction on the bad parts of the road, but I don't want to damage anything on the better parts. (BTW, this is my firxt 4x4)

Thanks,

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

mark schofield

In your estimation, how many miles of driving on dry pavement does it take before damage is done. Do you know if the effects are cumulative? TIA.

Reply to
XLanManX

if all four tires are matched, both in size and inflated so that loaded radius was the same all around, in theory, you could drive forever in a straight line on dry pavement with no problems

yes, the effects are 'cumulative'.........torsion in the drive-line accumulates until something goes 'BANG'

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

So "wet" isn't good enough. I was hoping it would be.

It seems like manual hubs would make the 4x4 practically useless, around here, except in a blizzard or if off-roading. Any other time some roads will be cleared and other areas (roads and parking lots, etc.) will be covered. Lucky me mine has automatic hubs enabling on-the-fly switching. (Unless switching the transfer case to 2WD but leaving the hubs locked is ok ...)

Right.

I have the manual for my BII. It says "don't" but doesn't explain why or the specific limits. A thread in this newsgroup, maybe a month ago, demonstrated why. (someone with an F-[123]50 put it in 4-LO while the wheel was turned as far as it would go on dry pavement)

Thanks for the clarification.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

In some instances, on dry pavement, 4X4 Low, low tire pressure and turning the wheel sharply, a tire can also be unseated from the rim by driving the vehicle. This obviously results in an instantaneous flat tire.

Reply to
Tyrone

around here, except in a blizzard or if off-roading. The front wheels actually have to slip or skid when engaged and : > connering. : : Right. : : > get a friend with a ford 4x4 and read what the manual says about 4WD : > on hard surfaces. : : I have the manual for my BII. It says "don't" but doesn't explain why : or the specific limits. A thread in this newsgroup, maybe a month : ago, demonstrated why. (someone with an F-[123]50 put it in 4-LO : while the wheel was turned as far as it would go on dry pavement) : : : Thanks for the clarification. : : -D : : -- : \begin{humor} : Disclaimer: : If I receive a message from you, you are agreeing that: : 1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient" : 2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make : such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends : itself to. In particular, I may quote it on USENET or the WWW. : 3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company. : 4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may : be included on your message : \end{humor} : : www:

jabber: snipped-for-privacy@dman13.dyndns.org

Reply to
Mellowed

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

It is. Many folks with manual hubs lock the hubs before leaving then switch to

4x4 when needed.
  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Those will all be OK after the transfer case grenades.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

'95 Ford Bronco Auto Front hubs, switched to manuals 3 years ago. I leave 'em locked in about half the time, even in 2WD I haven't had any problems in over 55,000 miles, 4WD works fine when I need it.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader