warning gong disable experience/incident

I have a 2001 F250 SD gas V8 with 5 speed and 4x4.

Since new, I've wanted to disable all the warning gongs. So far, I've only managed to disable seatbelt warning gong.

I've been to several Newsgroups and other places of Ford knowledge on the Internet. I've asked questions and talked to people. Kept many notes.

The concensus on how to disable the gongs seems to be as follows:

Under the dash, just above brake or accellerator, will be a small black or grey box, measuring about 1x1x2 inches. There will be a male plug with 7-8 wires on it. Pull this plug from the box.

OK.......I found the box, just as described, and pulled the plug. All gongs stopped immediately. But there are several negative side effects. Interior light no longer works. Gauges became totally inoperative. A loud clicking sound comes from under dash when passenger door is opened. Engine idle speed dropped so much that engine wants to quit running.

This is not a good trade-off.

Did I pull the plug from the wrong box? My fuse panel is located to the FAR left of underdash area. The gong sound seems to come from.......like......directly in back of the fuse panel. It certainly does not seem to be coming from the box I unplugged, or from that general area. Reaching up and around, in back of the fuse panel, as best I can, I cannot feel any "boxes", or wire bundle.

Has anyone in the group experienced this? Can anyone help me silence the gongs? I want _ALL_ of them silenced.

Thank you Lee Carkenord Denver Colorado

Reply to
Lee Carkenord

I can't help but I have the opposite problem. I can't hear my warning buzzer/gong. I would like to fix it ( I just hate leaving my lights on.) So if any can answer how to disable I may be able to figure how to fix mine.

Reply to
Roger

spend some time under the dash with the door open.locate the "box" that makes the noise. unplug it .enjoy the peace and quiet

Reply to
Falcoon

I hate to tell you but that buzzer is located in module that I think Ford calls "master timer module" or something simular. It handles all time-related functions - such as courtesy light exit delay, wiper delay, signal flashers, etc... You can't just unplug it like the good ol'e days and expect everything else to work. You can, however, remove and diassemble the module, find the piezo buzzer and carefully disconnect it by gouging out a small section of the circuit-board trace that connects to it. BTDT.

Reply to
Nukie Poo

Well...........I've been doing just what you suggest for several months, done it several times. I just have not been able to locate this elusive "gong box". I've had the little girl next door (tiny hands) reach up in all the tight places.......she's felt no box, nor anything that was vibrating as the gongs sounded.

In your experience, where _EXACTLY_ is this box located, and what does it look like? What shape and approx dimensions? What is the approx thickness of the wire bundle leading to this box?

And I DO thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Lee Carkenord

Reply to
Lee Carkenord

Lee When you find the gong, remove it and ship it to Roger.

|> Since new, I've wanted to disable all the warning gongs. So far, I've |> only managed to disable seatbelt warning gong. |>

|> I've been to several Newsgroups and other places of Ford knowledge on |> the Internet. I've asked questions and talked to people. Kept many |> notes. |>

|> The concensus on how to disable the gongs seems to be as follows: |>

|> Under the dash, just above brake or accellerator, will be a small |> black or grey box, measuring about 1x1x2 inches. There will be a male |> plug with 7-8 wires on it. Pull this plug from the box. |>

|> OK.......I found the box, just as described, and pulled the plug. |> All gongs stopped immediately. But there are several negative side |> effects. Interior light no longer works. Gauges became totally |> inoperative. A loud clicking sound comes from under dash when |> passenger door is opened. Engine idle speed dropped so much that |> engine wants to quit running. |>

|> This is not a good trade-off. |>

|> Did I pull the plug from the wrong box? My fuse panel is located to |> the FAR left of underdash area. The gong sound seems to come |> from.......like......directly in back of the fuse panel. It certainly |> does not seem to be coming from the box I unplugged, or from that |> general area. Reaching up and around, in back of the fuse panel, as |> best I can, I cannot feel any "boxes", or wire bundle. |>

|> Has anyone in the group experienced this? Can anyone help me silence |> the gongs? I want _ALL_ of them silenced. |>

|> Thank you Lee Carkenord Denver Colorado | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

good one man