wham! on 99 Ranger

I have a 99 Ranger, extended cab with a 4 liter, automatic, 2 wheel drive. Sitting at a light for about 30 seconds and wham!, the truck feels like it was hit in the rear about 5 mph by another vehicle. No, I look and the car behind me is about 10 feet back. The transmission feels like it dropped into low and dropped hard while I am sitting there. After a few miles and a another stop light it happens again but not as hard.

Anybody experience anything like this? What is the remedy?

Note: Automatic transmission fluid transfusion was done about 2 months ago at 35,000 miles.

Any answers, theories or speculations will be welcome.

Reply to
tailspin

The only thing I can imagine was that the tranny was taking forever to kick back into gear and when it did - it hit hard. I'd have the tranny and all related components checked (torque converter, etc.) Let us know what you find out - strange happenings.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

A Toyota Corolla I rented did this also several times. Not quite a wham! but did cause me to look back to see if I had been bumped.

It was almost like the lock-up torque converter was engaging.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

. wham! on 99 Ranger Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2003, 2:40pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (tailspin) I have a 99 Ranger, extended cab with a 4 liter, automatic, 2 wheel drive. Sitting at a light for about 30 seconds and wham!, the truck feels like it was hit in the rear about 5 mph by another vehicle. No, I look and the car behind me is about 10 feet back. The transmission feels like it dropped into low and dropped hard while I am sitting there. After a few miles and a another stop light it happens again but not as hard. Anybody experience anything like this? What is the remedy? Note: Automatic transmission fluid transfusion was done about 2 months ago at 35,000 miles. Any answers, theories or speculations will be welcome. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

check your fluid level

if alls well........alls not well.

Scrib Abell

Reply to
Scribb Abell

I had this happen on a GM car I used to own and it happened about a week after the fluid was transfused. The trans would shift fine until the trans got warm, then lock-up would stay locked. This is doing the opposite, the warmer it gets the better it gets. Even after the big event, it stills acts normal afterwards and it doesn't happen all that often. When it does, it gets my attention.

Reply to
tailspin

I had a similar happening And a few thousand miles later the TC self destructed which then wiped-out the Front Pump, sending AL grit throughout the entire Tranny. Total rebuild. You might be having a similar problem.

LS

Reply to
Larry Starr

Hoo boy, didn't want to see that but thanks for the info.

Reply to
tailspin