Which 90's ford van (eng/tranny) setup is best?

I'm looking for a low maintenance dependable van (non towing, medium load). I don't have shopspace to do work right now. The diesels sounds solid, but the 4R100 tranny i'm hearing is worthless without improvements which I can't get into right now unfortunately. Is this correct?

Do the older diesels have the E40D? Is the E40D any better than the 4R100?

I am wanting the modern body style (92+) and fuel economy, so I'm looking either at a diesel with the E40D, or a straight 6 or 302 v-8. I don't mind going a little slower on hills. I'm looking for an extended body. not too many have the smaller motor, but there are a few. My thought was to find one out there that has had a recent tranny replacement.

If you inspect a diesel with 200k on it, what should you look for?

Do you prefer the 5.8L gas or the triton 5.4 engine?

Thank You

Reply to
shawnzmail

Soo many questions... :)

Having owned 5 or 6 Ford vans from a 1980 up to my current 2003, I have a little knowledge of them. If you want something hard working and don't care about top end speed, my suggestion is that you get a 4.9HD and an E4OD. The

4.9 has enough torque to pull you around, is dependable, and not to be overlooked, leaves you space to work in that cramped engine compartment. That's important if you turn your own wrenches.

What I'm not sure about is what year they discontinued them. They tapered off I know, and I'm not sure if you can find one in the 92 and up bodystyle.

The last year for the 302 and 351 was 1995. 1996 and up will be a triton engine. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I had a 95 E150 Club Wagon Chateau with the towing package, 351W, and an E4OD, and it was probably the most solid shifting, hard pulling van I've had. I haven't owned a diesel or V10 yet, so I don't have any comparison to make there. The 95 was stronger than my 2003 tho, and the 03 is equipped identically and has the 5.4. The 03 also has the weaker by comparison 4R70W.

People always complain about transmissions. They're always weaker than the engine in a car. Just look for one that shifts firmly, doesn't show obvious signs of abuse, and doesn't have dark or burnt smelling fluid. Even then it can be a pig in a poke. While the E4OD is stouter than the AOD/4R70W, it's also more expensive to rebuild.

Lastly, the thing you gotta remember is that whatever you buy is used, and maybe even abused. You have to check it over very well. Make sure you drive it long enough to get the engine and transmission good and hot; cold fluid can mask the symptoms of a weak transmission. If the engine needs any work, even just valve cover gaskets, remember that it's a pain to work in that engine bay, and negotiate accordingly.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Clarification...the 302/351 was available in 96, '97 started the Triton engines. Up to 96 the 4.9 was available as well, IIRC. I had a 96 Club Wagon that got a lot of use and was pretty reliable, same setup as your 95. I've had an '02 F250 with the V10, it is powerful but a gas hog. As far as the diesel, the E150's certainly didn't have them but I imagine it was available in the E-350 at least.

If you're looking for fuel economy, low maintenance and don't care about top speed, look for a 92-96 E-150 with the 4.9 and E40D that hasn't been used for major hauling and towing.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

It was after 1993 at least; my '93 has that exact combination (4.9/ E4OD) and I have a friend with a slightly newer truck with a 4.9 (has airbags) so it carried on at least until 94 maybe later.

nate

Reply to
N8N