Aspen Question

I bought an 08 Aspen a year ago and it didn't come with the towing package. I was going to try to add the stuff to the SUV to make it able to tow my motorcycle trailer (7X14 dual wheels/quad axels).

Anyone have an idea what I need or what if I even can?

Thanks,

Reply to
MoParMaN

Google for hitches. those same companies will have tail-light adapters as well. I have the Pacifica, added the hitch, and the kit to get lights, it was easy... it was lots to do in a way, but the skillz required were less than any one of us monkeys would have :P.

That aspen shouldn't have a problem getting a cycles round, since it is the dakota in stationwagon trim :P

I pull a 3rail bike trailer behind our Pacifica. If you were going to be tryin to pull a covered trailer or more heavy stuff, you might want to get a trans cooler installed (id suggest it even if your not), just to be safe AND change the trans fluid as suggested in manuals {Many people neglect trany fluid changes all together btw).

Reply to
PlowBoy

Try looking here:

Also a trans cooler that was previously suggested.

Reply to
Roy

What will be the GVW of the trailer?

Reply to
PeterD

It's a big trailer. Like I said it's a dual tandem with 4 axels. It's steel on the bottom and aluminum siding and roof, has air vents, drive on rear door, side door, has all wood trim on the inside. I have my 08 Nomad in there and a 8000 watt generator, work bench, 220vac air compressor and enough tools to rebuild a Hemi, which the Aspen has. The hitch I'm not worried about, it's the suspension that has me concerned.

Reply to
MoParMaN

Thanks.

Reply to
MoParMaN

I knew someone was gonna ask that and I flat forgot to look today. I'll have to check it tomorrow.

Reply to
MoParMaN

FOUR axles? As in eight wheels? That IS a big trailer!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Hey,

the trailer you are talking about (makes more sense after you said more) sounds pretty heafty... so what you have to do is make sure you don't overdo the tongue weight capacity and braking capacity etc. Then since you are pulling something that I would rather pull with a diesel 1ton pickup, you are going to have to do several things...

For what is worth, I pulled a pretty heavy (6000 lb boat) with a VW bug before. you just don't try to be rush hour traffic racing, you drive slower, methodically, and carefully. Had there been a panic situation (this was in the 70's) someone could have died I'm sure... but I live really rural, so most of any problem I worry about is being stranded, not traffic or obstacles... just hills and flat tires etc... THE ASPEN is an "upscale" minivan, built in masses for the people who wont drive minivans, and if you recall most people dont pull trailers with minivans either. This is because the transmission is made so mom feels comfy driving the little ones to school, it just is NOT the object of these cars to be a tow vehicle.

But I'm like you, and try to make do...

so while you are getting the brake controller for the trailer brakes that trailer better have, you could get some air shocks, Trans cooler, to help with load when loaded. I bet you need to get mirror extenders as well so you can see around the trailer?

then:

  1. Drive like an old SANE man,*** when pulling this trailer.
  2. Beef up the abilities of the pulling rig
  3. more preventative maint on pulling rig, especially tranny and brake maintenance.

*** When we say old man, I mean the old men that get up early, drive carefully but not fast or hastily to get to where they are going on time, so that they aren't risking the vehicle or lives when traveling. Most of the people under the age of 50 have no clue how to drive SANE...

Your Aspen WAS the a replacement to the Durango... based on a not even half ton pickup. so you should expect less pulling and stopping and tongue weight abilities than say a 1/2 ton pickup, not to mention the aspen is narrower (so even the mirror probably need modifications to be able to see around the trailer). I think you could overload this easily, but if you live in Iowa away from cities I wouldn't worry as much, since most that you will do is overwork the brakes, transmission and engine. if you live in city and fight traffic that drives like hell, your life or others lives could be in jeopardy, then I would think about getting the right truck to do the pulling if possible!

Just be careful, you don't have an old Suburban that does everything the 1/2 pickups could do, (since the everything about them was built around the 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickups).... You have a glorified "car" and is somewhat limited in capabilities because of what it is.

Reply to
PlowBoy

No, the axels don't run from side to side, they are like drop down axels, might be a better name for them. 4 wheels, 4 brakes, 4 axels. Trailer is rated at 7000 pounds and built by BigTex Trailers in Mount Pleasant Texas.

I'm thinking I'll be better off just using my 1 ton dually instead. The towing with the Aspen idea was more for comfort for me and the wife than anything else.

Reply to
MoParMaN

a better description is a tandem axle trailer

Reply to
Dimbo Spams