1984 2.5 engine

Anyone know or know where I can look to find which car bodies a 2.5 engine from an 84 Celebrity will fit? Thanks

Reply to
Gary N. Mace

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not sure I understand the intent here. Do you have a good engine/bad car and want to put your engine into another body? Or, are you looking for another engine to put into your Celebrity?

At any rate, the 2.5 (AKA Iron Duke) has been used in many GM vehicles starting in the 60's with the LeMans. It was also used in Jeeps and boats over the years. I KNOW that it was in an '80 Phoenix that I had, and it probably was also in the "sister" cars -- Cutlass Ciera and Chevy Citation.

HTH, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

I have an 84 Celebrity with only about 60K miles on it in excellent shape. The body is rusting away (under the seats, brake lines, gas line, etc.). Someone told me the motor would only fit 84 & 85 Celebritys. I've looked for several years for a decent body with no luck. However, I have found an 88 Cavalier with no rust and would like to swap the motor if it will fit.

Reply to
Gary N. Mace

They never put the 2.5 "Iron Duke" into the Cavalier. The Cavalier had the 1.8,2.0 and then 2.2, 2.8, 3.1 V6, Quad 4 in the Z24 version etc.. You could probably put it in a Cavalier but would require extensive modification of motor mounts and such. Best to find a car that originally came with the 2.5, but has a great body and bad engine for cheap.

The 2.5 was the base engine in the Chevy Celebrity, Pontiac 6000, Olds Cutlass Ciera, Buick Century (these cars are virtually the same car). It was even the base engine in the Camaro for a few years, Pontiac Fiereo (they should have used the Quad 4!), GMC Jimmy, Blazer/S10, Grand Am, even Postal delivery Jeeps, etc.. I think of all the cars that the

2.5 lived in, the Pontiac 6000 was the best styled of them all. Real cool car. Neat styling, interior, dashboards.

here's a ton of detail on the Iron Duke. GM probably used the Iron Duke in the Pontiac Fiero because they also used the front suspension bits from the Citation/Phoenix/Omega cars in the Fiero! They basically took the FWD engine/suspension from the Citation clones and placed them in the back of the Fiero! More GM bean counting. But I still loved the Fiero and used to own one. A silver '84 SE model with the Iron Duke.

Reply to
grappletech

Thanks for the Wiki link. I really never realized that the 2.5 engine that was in the old 60's Tempest was NOT the same as the Iron Duke.

Interesting, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Another thing to know about that later engine is that it tended to be a piece of Sh**.

I had one in a Fiero too. Block cracked early on, and when I went to the junkyard to find a solid block to rebuild, found roughly 4 of 5 also cracked in the exact same place.

Another great conquest of GM over the trusting proletariat.

Reply to
<HLS

Huh? The iron duke was a good engine. The s10's with it run over 200k easily without problems. I overheated mine when the radiator blew, it melted a piston but kept on running.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Not all of them were, Eugene. In that era, 1984, a large number of them self destructed with cracks in the water jacket just above the lifter gallery floor.

Those were bullshit engines. I went through enough of them in the junkyards to know.

Maybe they fixed them, or maybe they were good previously, but there was a period that these engines were purely trash.

Reply to
<HLS