1986 BUICK PLEASE HELP

I have a 1986 Buick RIviera. The problem i am having with it is when it is cold and the car is first taken out of park. The car wants to lunge foreward it does this at stop sighns and red lights. It has a 3.8 engine. The engine code is B any help that can be given will be really apprecieated.

Reply to
RIVV1

Sounds like the RPM is too high when you are trying to take off cold. Do you let the car warm up enough to let the choke system work? Does it go away after it warms up?

it is cold and the car is first taken out of park. The car wants to lunge foreward it does this at stop sighns and red lights. It has a 3.8 engine. The engine code is B any help that can be given will be really apprecieated.

Reply to
Eightupman

I do let the car warm up but maybe i'm not letting it warm up as long as i should. The problem does go away when the car is all warmed up. It will some times come back when i am driving between 50 and 65 MPH. Could it be a fuel problem ?

Reply to
RIVV1

Anything is possible. Everyone has their own way of troubleshooting down to a problem like this. Without getting in your car and seeing exactly how it acts, I would not know for sure. My first knee jerk reaction was high RPM...based on the info. BUT some of the cars that I have driven have had similar problems as yours. One car had a leaking carb gasket that would suck air when cold, ,and mysteriously seal itself up when hot. Change gasket...problem gone. You don't have a carb..soooo. Then I had a car with a sluggish tranny. I would drop it in gear and eventually it would slam itself into gear and off I went. Fluid, filter and modulator and poof problem gone. So in other words...I dunno without driving it and hearing it.

Sorry Eightupman

i should. The problem does go away when the car is all warmed up. It will some times come back when i am driving between 50 and 65 MPH. Could it be a fuel problem ?

Reply to
Eightupman

Thats ok we think that it is a tranny problem. So that is our next step

Reply to
RIVV1