1996 Lumina Power Window Switch

Yesterday I lowered the front driver side window of my 96 Lumina sedan with the driver door window switch and now it won't come back up. All of the other windows work. When I hit the lower side of the switch I hear a click but when I hit the up side I hear nothing. I suspect the switch is bad. My question is, is there an easy way to jumper the switch so I can raise the window until I get a new switch? I do not want to spend $110 dollars at the dealer to replace the switch and it will take few days for me to get a used one. Thanks for your help.

P.S. There are two brown wires, one black, and two dark blue wires attached to the back of the top connector.

Reply to
<e>

Can you just hook those wires to another switch for another window? Then you can put the window up and just leave the other one disconnected until you get a new switch, assuming it is the switch.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

P.S. There are two brown wires, one black, and two dark blue wires attached to the back of the top connector.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Thanks for the response Edwin. There are two connectors located on the main control cluster on the driver's door. One controls the passenger and back side windows and the other controls the drivers side as well as containing the lock out button. If I disconnect the connector controling the drivers side window none of the windows work, so I assume this connector is also associated with the lock out button and there is some sort of circuit built into the switch. At a cost of $110 I would assume there is more to it than the switches.

What I was hoping for was to be able to apply 12 volts to one of the circuits to bypass the switch and drive the window up. The circuit diagram shows a dark blue (up) and a brown (down) wire connected to the left front motor. However, there are multiple dark blue and brown wires on the switch which has me confused. In my mind I would think all one would need to do is apply 12 volts to the dark blue wire to raise the window, but I question if my logic is correct, and to which dark blue wire. I do not want to burn out something by applying it to the wrong wire.

Reply to
Bob

One of the plugs should have two brown wires, two dark blue wires and a black wire. Disconnect it. Jumper terminal 'A' (BLK) and terminal 'B' (BRN). That will be the ground. Now jumper terminal 'C' (BRN) and terminal 'F' (DK BLU).

To tell the difference between the two brown (BRN) wires: with the connector disconnected and the ignition 'ON', you should get 12VDC at terminal 'C' (BRN). To tell the difference between the two DK BLU wires: when you short terminal 'C' (BRN) to the DK BLU wires, one will make the LF window go up, the other will do nothing.

I take no responsibility if you burn something up. ;)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve, you are a lifesaver. I followed your directions and my window is now up..which is especially appreciated since it is now snowing and the temps are in the 20's. Your quick response and clear directions are much appreciated.

Reply to
Bob