1997 Buick Regal ball joints

I have just been told by my Goodyear shop that one of my ball joints(driver's side) is in danger of total failure.(car has 165k miles)

They quoted me $500 for doing both from lower ball joints.

I have heard some noise coming from that area of the front for some time so I do not doubt the diagnosis, just wonder about the price.

Can anyone tell me if $500 is reasonable for doing both front lower ball joints?

Thanks,

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Shep

Goodyear shops are not noted for their low prices. You can probably get it done for $300, maybe less. Ask at a local shop.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sure - bring it to me. I'll do a pair of lower ball joints every day for $500 a pop.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Today I experienced ball joint success. The first independent shop I contacted checked out the car and gave me a price of $305.

Goodbye Goodyear except for tires. And I will shop those also.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Glad you found a good price. As for tires, there are plenty of small dealers that offer better pricing and better service than the big chains.

We have such a shop in our town. My daughter had a flat that could not be repaired. He did not have the tire in stock, but he put a used tire on the wheel so she would not be driving without a spare until he got one the next day. No additional charge. He did not make as much money on that deal, but he did make a customer for life.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski