99 LeSabre? Mystery Part.

Changed oil on my aunt's 99 BUick LeSabre today ( 11,265 miles ), Anyway, next to the air filter box in the driver side fender well is a tall plastic black box of some sort. I removed the cover only to reveal a second cover. I removed the second cover and there was a silver steel / aluminum box with one wire harness leading to it that resembles an ECM.

Does anybody know what that part is?

There is an aftermarket Alarm System on the car. Maybe its part of the alarm system?

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,062 91 Bonneville LE 304,421
Reply to
Harry Face

In my '96 Bonneville with the 3800 Series II, it is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Reply to
80 Knight

We have a 98. Have never noticed this, but will go outside and see if I can see what you're talking about.

Reply to
<HLS
80 Knight,

Boy that's a great spot to put the PCM in the front fender. Its the second thing to get crushed when you smash the fender.

Plus from the heat warp the outer black cover tabs no longer contact the lower portion of the box with the mating tabs.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,062 91 Bonneville LE 304,421
Reply to
Harry Face

It is in fact the PCM.

Reply to
<HLS

Mine is the same way. As for the box, I noticed it in my car when I first got it and thought (like you did) that it was part of the car's aftermarket alarm system. It took 2 months for me to stumble on a site which told me what it was. Weird, very weird. You gotta wonder who designs these things.

Reply to
80 Knight

Its the computer. GM started putting them in the engine compartment in the early '90s. I bet the engineer that thought that one up is real proud of himself.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

The Computer board will Warp / Melt causing soldering joints to expand and the board to crack and componant damage. Im surprised by hearing this. I wonder how many years GM did this ??? Brian - Las Vegas

Reply to
Captain Crane

They still do.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

DS

So far I don't see no computer under the hood of the Park Ave. Behind the glove box in the Bonneville.