2001 cavalier wont start

I was accelerating up a little hill and my car felt like it just went into neutral. I had gas, my gas pump comes on when i turn my car to the on position. I tried starting it and it does sound like its getting gas cause it startes for about a second or so. When i try starting it and giving a little gas i can hear a slight backfire. This morning i tried starting it and it wouldn?t turn over at all. My stepdad suggested that my timeing belt probably slipped or could just be an oxygen sensor ( which i doubt ). Any Suggestion with the little info i gave you? Thanks Tim

Reply to
twitchentim

Not much info Tim. Could be a plugged catalytic converter. Did it smell hot?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I know, but i now i know the problem and had another question. They said my fuel pump is clogged cause my i ran out of gas on hightway and my gas gauge is broken. They said it would be about 500 to fix. I want to try and do it myself, IS it Hard to Take down the Gas Tank???? Thanks Tim

Reply to
twitchentim

Not if you jack the car up and drain the tank of fuel, no.

Reply to
Hardpan