2003 2500HD Silvarado Battery light?

Hi , I have a 2003 2500HD Silvarado PU. The Battery light keeps coming on and remains at different levels of intensity [ the brightest when the vehicle is sitting ] The dealer put a new battery in and the light stayed off for about a half hour , for the ride home. The Voltmeter stays around

14V , and charging appears normal, the vehicle also starts and runs fine. I would think if there was a problem in the charging system that the Voltmeter would read low [ around 9V ] Does anyone know, specifically, what the battery light indicates ? Could this be an overly sensitive light and just a false alarm? Anyone have any idea what could be going on? Thanks..... Kevin Davis
Reply to
Kevin Davis

Normally if the battery light is on the alternator is shot. Take it back to the dealer and tell him to stop guessing and fix it.....

Reply to
BillW

Yup,, In most cases it's the alternator. It doesn't mean that it is completely shot, be will be with time.

Reply to
Dan

Reply to
Bobo

Reply to
Dave J and Lynne J Shepherd

On this vehicle, the light is turned on or off by the instrument cluster, based on messages from the powertrain or body control modules that tell it the charging system voltage is below 11 volts or over 16 volts. It should be either full on or full off, not varying in brightness. I would put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it reads with the engine running, the dash gauge is not that accurate. It should be around 14 volts or so with no accessories turned on. If the charging system voltage is normal, I would suspect something screwy with the instrument cluster.

Reply to
Robert Hancock