2003 Buick Lsabre Battery Replacement

Does anyone know of a replacement battery for a 2003 Buick Lsabre other than the OEM Delco? This looks like another GM I gotcha. This is what is changing my mind about American cars. "Proprietary parts" I wonder how many other GM models are set up like this.

Another question is; Do I have to supply 12v power to the car while changing this battery to keep from losing the security programing for the key entry and starting mode. I seem to remember something about this happening if you totally remove battery power.

Reply to
arossi

Try your local NAPA or AutoZone and they will tell you what battery you need. I have never owned a car where I had to buy an OEM battery.

Your keyless entry shouldn't be effected, but I don't know anything about your "starting mode". Another think that can be effected is if you have the TheftLock activated on your radio. But, as long as you know the password to deactivate it, you should be fine.

Reply to
80 Knight

What is "this" you are talking about? I've never heard of a proprietary battery. Have you even looked for a replacement battery before getting all fired up?

Your security programming may be ok - not sure, but you will certainly lose some other programming. Maybe your station presets in the radio, etc. That's not a GM thing - it pretty much applies to most cars.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Go to a large auto parts store, pick up a memory saver, It takes a 9volt battery and then you plug the unit in your 12v power outlet, ( cigeritte lighter), change the battery, then pull the memory saver out. All memory should be allright.

Reply to
Andy & Carol

"80 Knight" wrote in news:vsWdndpbCsZ4HTvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

mazda miata had a dealer only battery but a large lawn tractor battery worked great for a quarter the price.........

Reply to
KjunRaven

arossi wrote in news:9Nuph.9730$w91.8434 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

ANY 78 series battery fits just fine.......if it aint delco it might not leak!

Reply to
KjunRaven

Yes. East Penn/Deca available at CarQuest Auto Parts. Other brands of batteries may share the vent design that Delco uses. At the worst, you may have to extend the vent tubing with some PVC from the hardware store.

The ones that share that chassis.

It would be advisable. In addition to losing certain memories and/or activating the radio theft lock, total disconnect of battery power will cause certain servos in the HVAC system to re-synchronize when powered back up, being typical frail under engineered GM parts, they may fail during this process. Advise using a fairly robust 12 volt battery as a back-up due to the heavy key off load some of these cars have...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It is a group 100 battery. Advance Auto has them and probably some other places. They sell for $98.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On some Gms your security module sets and vhicle wont start,However there is method to reset that. Turn ignition on make sure security light is blinking leave ignition on for about 10 minutes or until security light stops blinking then turn igntion off then turn back on to start car.

Good luck

"arossi" wrote: > Does anyone know of a replacement battery for > a 2003 Buick Lsabre other than the OEM Delco? > This looks like another GM I gotcha. This is > what is changing my mind about American cars. > "Proprietary parts" I wonder how many other > GM models are set up like this. > > Another question is; Do I have to supply 12v > power to the car while changing this battery > to keep from losing the security programing > for the key entry and starting mode. I seem > to remember something about this happening > if you totally remove battery power.

Reply to
waynes93jeep

Almost. The LeSabre takes a series 100 battery and not everyone carries them. I've never seen one in Wal Mart.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski