Maintaining ecu and radio settings battery disconnected

I did read somewhere that a cigar socket plug in device is available to maintain battery voltage and so preserve radio code and ecu settings if the battery itself has to be disconnected for whatever reason.

Even if I switch off my car alarm system, I still need my remote control to reset the alarm when I reconnect the battery. As I have only one remote, and trying hard not to line Peugeots pockets with the extortionate sum of money that they require for a replacement, a device that would maintain battery voltage would seem to be one solution in the event of a failure of my remote control and the need to disconnect the battery

can anyone help with - does such a device exist - does it work with the type of situation described above - how much is it - who makes it - who sells it

Any info appreciated

Reply to
sid

Yes

Yes - it kept the memory going in my radio while the battery was off.

£70 includes compressor and jump leads and torch and 300w inverter (will run a small portable tv in a blackout)

Ring

Halfords

Hope that helps, frisket

Reply to
frisket

Got mine for £30 from the market in Milton Keynes. OK, it wasn't made by Ring, and it doesn't have an inverter which I've had for some time, but £30 is nearer my pocket money level than £70 .

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

The message from frisket contains these words:

You can get one for under a tenner which just holds a 9v battery - usually enough to keep the radio alive for a few minutes provided you pull the fuses for the courtesy lights first.

Reply to
Guy King

If you can tape the door switches etc so no lights come on, a PP3 battery will keep all the memories alive for long enough to change the main battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for all the (very swift) replies. I have a spare 12v car battery. Does this £10 device allow other power connections to be made? Have you a name for the unit?

Just need a temp holding device. Not too sure how they work as it is putting current through a circuit that is meant to supply it! Can this cause problems?

Will have a look at this Ring system - sounds like a garage job - getting close to the replacement cost of my remote.

Reply to
sid

The message from "sid" contains these words:

No, just seen 'em around. They're tiny - contain a PP3 battery. Nothing to 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

Tried a google search but no luck with my rather vague wording. Is there a general description/name for this unit. Would any on-line MF's stock this?

Halfords web site seems rather poor - nothing listed that I can identify.

Reply to
sid

This seems to be what you're after ;)

Tony Bond

Er, why not just switch them off?

Reply to
harry

Just making the point that if you open a door - or boot or bonnet - which has an automatic light as many do, it will kill a PP3 stone dead while the main battery is disconnected.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

What are they certain about, Dave? Apart from not wanting to be frozen solid then thawed out, of course.

Reply to
Guy King

They're certain that someone will ask a fatuous question about them? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Tony. Thats what I require.

Reply to
sid

Thanks Tony. Thats what I require.

Reply to
sid

The message from "sid" contains these words:

That's 'cos you're comparing chalk and cheese. Malc's solution will work fine, and is what's inside the 9.61 version. The others are battery packs suitable for starting cars with - which you won't manage with a PP3!

Reply to
Guy King

Fortunately mine was paid for by work (bless 'em) cos a lot of the sites I attend don't have mains and I need to charge my battery drills / run floodlights etc.

Reply to
frisket

Hi Sid

The commercial items are usually nothing more than a PP3 battery connected to a cigar lighter plug, really clever one's have a diode in circuit to prevent the PP3 exploding if the Car battery is reconnected while its still plugged in.

With a bit of ingenuity and a visit to Maplin you can make your own for about a fiver. You just need a cigarette lighter plug, a PP3 battery connector, a PP3 battery and a IN4001 diode.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Hi again

There's a steaming pile of dog do around the back of my house that's got more information about Halfords stock that their own website! Anyone needing info on Halfords products are welcome to visit me and I'll steer them to the steaming oracle.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Yes, I take your point but I have never seen any tech specs and I had absolutely no idea of what was involved. The £9.61 version has the facility to connect to a an ordinary 12v car battery as well as a PP3.

I am very grateful for the advice and knowledge so willingly given by the various posters.

Reply to
sid