2005 cobalt

The 2005 cobalt has the battery in the trunk with a positive post under the hood for a battery jump. Would this then mean that I would charge the battery thru the positive post under the hood instead of directly to the battery. Pls. advise. Eric

Reply to
<ewazny

That will work fine, and be a lot more convenient to get to.

Reply to
<HLS

Either one should be fine, its nice having a positive post at both ends of the car, how many times are you parked nose in and have to jump your car, but the other car is sitting in the aisle and the cables arn't long enough?

Reply to
Paradox

Some years ago, my daughter borrowed an Audi and got stuck in a parking lot. Cold, dark, miserable, I had to give it a jump to start it. After 15 minutes I finally got the cable on the post, started the car, another 15 minutes to put things back. The next day I found out there was a post for just that purpose that was easily reached. That was my first encounter with an off battery connection. Never knew they existed.

I've never seen the battery in my LeSabre. It is under the rear seat and will be replaced this year.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What year model, Ed? Is this the normal placement for that car?

Reply to
<HLS

It is a 2001 LeSabre Limited. Yes, it is normal. It takes a series 100 battery that is about $100. Given that it is six years old, I'm going to replace it soon before it just goes dead one inconvenient day.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Probably not a bad idea. Havent seen many batteries lately that last even that long.

Lady who helps with my parents-in-law has a Dodge of some sort and the battery is inside the bumper, so she says. Cant see it from the engine compartment at any rate. Battery is only a couple of months old, but it goes down every week or two and I have to put the charger on for her. Very inconvenient to work on that thing.

Reply to
<HLS

Another car like that is the Oldsmobile Aurora. I saw one at a junk yard once and was astonished by the fact the batter was under the back seat.

Reply to
80 Knight

UGH! Just like the VW Beetle, battery fumes in the car.

My Wife's Sebring has the battery in front of the left front wheel. Quite inaccessible, but keeps the fumes outside. It's into it's 6th year, so we won't go far from home.

My last Chrysler lasted 6 years, exactly 1 yr longer than the original battery.

Reply to
Some O

Ed, I thought you got rid of the LeSabre when you bought your Hyundia?

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Special battery has vent tubes that go through the floor, no fumes in car. BCI group 100 I believe.

Reply to
Kevin

No, I traded in the '91 Regal. That had 150k and still ran good. Just needed to much other work to make it worth keeping. The LeSabre will now get about 3000 miles a year and should last a while longer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski