3.8 head gasket removal

This is for NA 1994 Bonneville w/ 185k miles on it. Currently leaking oil.

I'm doing a head gasket change next week-end. If after removing everything connected to the head and removing the head bolts, do I need any tool to lift the head off?

Will the push rods stay or goes with the head?

Any info you guys can give, I would appreciate very much.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
jim

Well I just replaced the head gasket on my 92 SE 3800 NA engine due to a burnt out valve. I can tell you that no real special tools are needed, but a whole lot work & patience sure is! Just about everything has to either be disconnected or taken out of the engine compartment to get those darn heads off too! Plus, the old head bolts are NOT reuseable either!

As for common oil leaks, it's usually just the lower intake manifold or valve cover gaskets that leak oil though. The head gasket when fails usually leaks coolant.

Reply to
DeathRat

GMdude,

I have a service manual but this is the first time doing this and too much information is better than not enough.

Jim

GMdude wrote:

Reply to
jim