91 Buick Park Ave ultra bad gas mileage

I recently got a 91 buick Park Ave ultra. Runs great but gets terrible gas mileage. It should be getting around 25 mpg, but its getting 14 mpg. Runs and idles fine, doesnt have alot of power ( but im used to my old 99 buick Regal GS.

Any suggestions to getting better mileage? The only engine code showing is 58 (anti theft key).

Reply to
MikeM

Shep

Reply to
MikeM

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
Adam Corolla

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
MikeM

Sounds crazy !! $900 for a cam shaft sensor?? The GM dealer I got mine from lists for around $47.00 and takes around 15 minutes or less to install - at least on my 91 it does.

Or are you refering to the price of tearing the front of the engine off to place the cam interptor magnet? Then that could be a big $$$ job.

good luck

harryface

05 Park Avenue 41,000 91 Bonneville 306,360
Reply to
Harry Face

You can use this:

Even the Florida EPA verifies increased gas mileage using this stuff.

8 to 27% increase depending on the cars they tested.

Shep wrote:

Reply to
qiman13

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Well it boost my energy level too?

Reply to
Spam Hater

Radiant Containment?

All that means is that the additive absorbs a lot of infrared heat, therefore containing more of it within the flame making the flame itself hotter so less heat is radiated out to the metal.

It comes from this product that has been around, tried and tested, proven for decades in the welding industry:

SgtSilic> LOL. Radiant containment. LMAO.

Reply to
qiman13

Like I said, LOL!! I have somewhat of a scientific background, and that's complete rubbish. But if you wish to believe it isn't (rubbish) then you do. I am not going to expend effort to prove my case. Therefore if you wish to dismiss my skepticism as unfounded.... be my guest. I'll take the dismissal and keep slogging on without the benefits of its use. Poor me. Hehe.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

just because it is outside of our claustrophobic comfort zone, don't be offended that it works.

SgtSilic> On 6 Jul 2006 15:36:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
qiman13

Ump ok yeah. How much does it improve mileage again?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

There are a lot of documented tests but I'll tell about my personal experience and friends that are using it.

My friend with a grand prix (1997??) used to get about 25mpg on the highway now he gets 29-30mpg on the hwy. He tested it on a road trip from North Dakota to Seattle. I'm not sure how many gallons are on his tank but 5 extra miles per gallon X at least 15 gallons is 75 extra miles on a tank. used to get 25mpg so at minimum, that is

3 gallons worth of gas mileage. that is at minimum $3/gallon $9 worth of gas mileage - $2.50 retail per oz about = $6.50 in gas mileage for $2.50. That is almost a 300% return on the investment. You have to admit, it is defintely paying for itself and than some. not only that, it is reducing emissions as well and keeping the engine clean.

my friends rented a new caprice and drove from seattle to houston and back. The first few tanks as a test without it got about 24mpg on the highway. They were getting also about 29-30 by the t time they got back using the additive. It was getting over 100 extra miles on a tank.

my wife's saturn (1994) used to get 32mpg on the highway and she now gets 39mpg on the highway. it went from 26mpg city to 33mpg city with the additive.

I even tried it in my city car a little honda with 10 gallon tank. used to get 270 miles on 10 gallons. I actually used another additive and after about 5 tanks, I got up to 392 on a tank. 121 extra miles. I admit some mileage was simply because of cleaning. should get about 31-32 city with a clean engine so still 7 mpg extra. However, I added RxP in addition to the other addtive and I got 406 miles on 9.5 gallons which came to

42.67mpg in the city. that is more than I'm supposed to get on the highway. I started using RxP alone without the other additive and it keeps me at 380-390 on about 9.5-10 gallons. without, it drops back down to about 320-340.

you can get it at autozone almost anywhere. $6.99 for a 2.5 oz bottle and it treats 25 gallons.

1oz per 10 gallons for the first 2-3 tanks and many are finding they only need about 1/2 oz per 10 gallons after the carbon is all cleaned out. get 2-3 bottles and try it on a few tanks in a row and see what happens. would love to see your results. that is a cheap investment and if it gives you decent results, that is the only way you'll know. "radiant containment" sounds funny I admit but it is valid that it is very conductive to heat making the fuel hotter to burn more of what is there meaning less heat is being absorbed by the metal. therefore the engine does run a little cooler and so nox comes down as well.

SgtSilic> Ump ok yeah. How much does it improve mileage again?

Reply to
qiman13

Higher combustion chamber temps will icrease NOX not decrease it. It is combustion chamber temperature that affects NOX not engine temperature. What you wrote above " making the fuel hotter to burn more of what is there meaning less heat is being absorbed by the metal " would increase combustion temps and increase NOX not decrease it.

Reply to
Mike

Don't even bother with this fake science marketing CRAP. I mean just look at it. It burns HOTTER so that there is LESS HEAT! LMAO.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

used for years and this is actually the genesisof rxp.

Here is common sense...

lets say 50% energy burns the fuel and we have 50% wasted heat energy (RADIANT HEAT) being absorbed by the metal around it with using regular fuel that is only so conductive to heat..

WHATEVER HEAT IS RADIATED TO THE METAL IS OBVIOUSLY NOT BEING USED TO BURN THE FUEL.

if you add something to the fuel making it more conductive to infrared heat, the fuel WILL RETAIN more energy of the heat to burn more of it and therefore there is LESS RADIATED HEAT moving out to the metal. It is turning normally wasted heat into actual work by burning more of the fuel.

If in normal fuel is 50/50 just for simplicity sake and then you use fuel which is a little more conductive to heat, lets say 55% of the fuel burns and 45% of wasted energy that the fuel didn't utilize radiated out to the metal meaning the metal would be cooler!

engines run super hot when there is low efficiency burn meaning there is a LOT of RADIATED HEAT meaning the fuel absorbed very little energy of it making a HOT engine and high NOX. All that radiated heat is simply wasted potential not turning into kinetic motion by burning the fuel. more efficient burn means the fuel is utilizing the potential energy better by holding on to more of it so to speak.

If in the normal 50/50 example the temp of the metal is X. IF the fuel was more conductive to heat, more of it would burn and LESS RADIATED heat would make it to the metal meaning the temperature would be LESS THAN X.

used in welding for years. concentraed flame gets hotter and more focused absorbing more heat into itself than normal. cut metal or weld metal and touch the metal around the periphery and it is COOL to the touch because LESS radiated wasted heat since the additive in the welding fuel is more conductive to infrared heat! you then get a more concentraed and focused flame it is more coherant like a laser for example whereas without the additive is is less coherent like a led light that has light that scatters outwards.

you have a background in science and really can't see this VERY SIMPLE ELEMENTARY concept???

the engine would therefore run cooler as it does and NOX emissions are reduced because of this purpose.

SgtSilic>

Reply to
qiman13

# Chemical Name Percent of Mix67-56-1 METHANOL 92%1330-20-7 XYLENE BLEND 8%
Family: Hydrocarbon & Soy Methyl Ester It sounds like a methanol/fuel oil blend.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul