91 Grand Prix

I have ZERO car knowledge. Let's just get that out of the way.

The car (will from this point on, be referred to as "The Bitch") was having some trouble starting. It would start then other times, absolutley nothing. No noise, just a click. My stepdad took it as the starter so we replaced that. After changing the starter, the car now idles extremely low and stalls at nearly every stop. So I got in and gave the idle a quarter turn to try to keep it up. Clearly that wasn't the problem, any help on this one?

Reply to
rEjecthead

"rEjecthead" wrote in news:1158010873.846590.248180 @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Has it been tuned up? Fuel filter replaced? Perhaps an ignition problem. Has the check engine light come on?

Reply to
grappletech

The starter apparently worked for you. I assume the battery and the battery cables, connection are also good.

The starter has nothing at all to do with the idle speed. At least you got it started.

We will assume that this car has some sort of GM engine, although we are a bit in the dark about what it might be.

Maybe you will enlighten us with the pedigree of Ms Bitch, and we can see if we can go further.

Reply to
<HLS

I assume that while replacing the starter, your stepdad unhooked the battery? If so, give your car a few days for the computer to 'relearn' what RPM's is needed to keep the car running. The longest it ever took my 91 Grand Prix was a few days. Just keep driving it until it re-sets.

Reply to
80 Knight

Right on, Knight. That may solve all his problems... well, at least his Bitch problems;>)

Reply to
<HLS

I loved my Grand Prix, but at times I called it things much worse then 'bitch' ;-)

Reply to
80 Knight

How does somebody with Zero Knowledge of cars " Up " the idle on a car with a Zero adjust idle that's controlled by the ECM?

Good Luck !

harryface

05 Park Avenue 49,089 91 Bonneville 307,322
Reply to
Harry Face

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in news:7495-450822D1-6 @storefull-3313.bay.webtv.net:

Wow, Harry, you have an '05 car with 50K on it already? Our '05 Kia Sedona only has 10K miles on it. Our '99 Olds 88 has 47K miles. Traveling salesman? You should start a taxi service with the Bonneville (or sign on with a taxi referral service). Get it up to a million miles. It'd need maybe 2 overhauls to get to a million but doable. I just read an article about a Greek independent taxi driver who put 2.8 million miles on a 1976 Mercedes 240D (diesel 4 clyinder). He bought the car in 1981 with 300,000 miles on it, and it was in constant 24/7 use for 24 years. He went through about 4 engines (he kept a rebuilt engine on hand). He just donated it to the Mercedes museum. Looks pretty good still -- a few dings here and there.

Reply to
grappletech

Grappletech,

The Park Avenue had 13,000 on it when I bought it in May of 05. The car was built in June of 04. I'm semi retired / on the loaf / not working / unemployed, call it what you want, but I travel alot on far away trips. I've actually been out of state the last four weekends in a row, all 800 mile + trips. Got a Ohio trip planned this weekend which will be another

750 miles. 50,000 will be here within two weeks.

Not much plane travel for me if I can avoid it. I may drive the Buick to California next year. Before I bought the Buick I was averaging 23,000 + miles a year on the Bonneville. The biggest year was 2002 @ 34,000 miles exactly. I owned an 89' Z-24 convertible from 96 - 00, so that cut down on miles added to the Bonneville. I put slightly over 50,000 on the Z, which was only driven in the summer, and maybe once a month in the winter months, if there wasn't any road salt out and it was dry.

The Bonneville has a knock in the engine. It started back in April. One goodwrench said he thought it was the balance shaft - another one though it sounded like a piston hitting the valve. The original master cylinder is getting weak and the suspension has its jolts every now & then.

Despite all the miles it still runs well, motor starts on 2 when you count 1,2,3. The AC died in late 2004 as did a rear speaker. Got great heat from the original blower still. Quarter panels are brgining to rot out just about the point where they meet the bumper fascia. Still getting about 26 mpg.

Its only driven about 250 miles a month right now. In the winter it will see more use as the Buick gets a rest. I want to keep it long enough to beat my uncles record of owning a 63 Buick 16 years. Although my brother has a 91 S-10 pick up which he has no plans of getting rid of. The S-10 got over 250,000 miles.

The last out of state trip in the Bonneville was June of 2005 to central Indiana, about a 250 miles round trip. Last big trip was fall of 04 to a covered bridge festival in central PA, about a 1400 mile trip.

A friend in Ohio is retiring a 95 Maxima with 284,000 miles.

harryface

05 Park Avenue 49, 099 91 Bonneville 307,322
Reply to
Harry Face

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in news:5748-4509A1A8-152 @storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net:

I like roadtrips also. You ever been across Canada? You'd like it. In Sept.'03, my brother flew out here to Ohio, and then we drove northeast to Niagara Falls. Then we drove across Canada -- Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, then drove down through Washington state, Oregon, California. We went to my sister's wedding in California, then I drove back across the USA back to Ohio. 5500 miles. We took my '99 Chevy Venture minivan. I had taken out all of the rear seats except a small jumpseat off to the side that we kept folded forward out of the way. I had a small mattress back there, a cooler, several Rubbermaid totes with clothes/food/misc.. While one was driving, the other one of us could either watch the scenery or go to the back for a rest. Minivan travel is great. And the Venture got about

25mpg, not too much less than a car. Canada was great. The people are very, very friendly. The diners and cafes along the highways are very clean, with beautiful waitresses and good food. I recommend a Canadian roadtrip. Once you get into Canada, you blend in well, no ones knows or suspects you're not Canadian. Only weird thing is that the posted speed limits are in KM, not miles, but you get used to it fast.
Reply to
grappletech

I was in Canada in 1970, north of Niagra Falls and in Vancouver, BC in

2003.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face