92 Bonneville SSE 3.8L w/o supercharge

About a month ago I got a check engine light and auto zone told me the code was 41. The problem went away for awhile but lately it's been doing it everyday, once or twice a trip. I'll be driving, usually at highway speeds then the check engine light will come on for about 3 to

5 seconds. I'll feel a miss or stutter in the engine and then it goes off and everything is ok. It even did it pulling off from the driveway the other day. I didn't think you could get a check engine light when the engine was still cold (close loop vs. open loop)?

To my previous post, Harry Face said;

Cam sensor is held in by one bolt and is in the timing cover to the left >of the water pump. There is a magnet pressed into the timing gear which >send impulse signals to the cam sensor. The magnet itself could be the >problem. Thet sometimes fall out of the timing gear. Replacing the >magent requires pulling the timing cover off and everything infront of >it. Remove the cam senor & bump the engine a few times to line the >magnet up with the hole in the timing cover, then you need a mirror & >flashlight to view the magnet.

I want to try and change my CAM sensor to see if it fixes the problem. I believe I've located it right where Harry said, to the left of the water pump but is there a trick to changing it? It seems to be slightly behind the water pump pully, I'm not left handed and it feels kind of tight in there.

What kind of wrench would work best?

There is oil on the motor around that area (150K miles) should I clean the engine first?

If the magnet had of fell out would it be intermittent like this?

Anything else you think I should know before I try this tomorrow?

Reply to
Soapm

I just use a socket ( I don't think I used a swivel head or an extention. ) on the bolt holding the cam sensor in place. The cam sensor may even fall right out after the bolt is removed. No need to clean the block. Pull slightly out on the tang as you pull to unplug the wire harness.

My SES light is on all the time. Drove all the way to New York with it on. Going to Florida next week with it on too.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~287,124 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Thanks Harry Face, I changed my cam sensor in about 15 minutes. Once I bought the new part I could see that it was fairly strait forward. Now for the waiting game to see if the problem comes back.

Reply to
LeBuick