92 caprice steering wheel

I want to replace the steering wheel on my 92 chevy caprice it has the air bag in the steering wheel (but it is disconnected) I just cant find a steering wheel adapter to use on it. Any ideas?

Reply to
Legalhigh

Your a bit vague with the question. So far we know you want to replace the steering wheel ( air bag equipped ) on a 92 Caprice but can't get an adapter to use on it........

Are you replacing it with another 92 Caprice Steering wheel ? If so you shouldn't need an adapter. The wheel should drop right on the splined shaft.

Are you replacing it with a Grant ( man - ufacturer ) Steering Wheel ?

If your replacing it with a Grant Wheel any auto part stores that sell Grant steering wheels should have the adapters, horn kits or other parts necessary, if not the can order them.

Not really sure what you mean by adapter. Are you sure that your steering wheel can be replaced with something other than ( the factory ) one equipped with an airbag?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,600 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

If price is an issue "why not?" try gmpartsdirect.com. GW

Legalhigh wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I wanted to replace it with an after market steering wheel. A grant or something like that. The auto parts store says here if it has an air bag it is illegal to replace the steering wheel so there fore no info from them. I just thought for sure that you could put an after market steering wheel on here. The whole thing at the auto parts store reminded me of the days of the catalytic converter if you asked them they would only tell you its illegal to take it off and that was it. I hope this helps.

Reply to
Legalhigh

You can get a horn wire contact at a junk yard. To remove it you just press down, twist & pull it out of the steering column. Then disconnect the other end from the horn button.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,600 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

If you find a yard that allows its customers inside I'm sure you could find a car with a missing wheel or partially disassembled column to get the horn wire out of. If not I could get one at the yards I go to. They don't care what you take.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~261,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Tried that one the junk yard will only sell the whole column they wont piece it out.

Reply to
www.ttdown.com