94 Geo Prizm - Key won't go in!

94 Geo Prizm - JUST put a new ignition module in 2 weeks ago today! Now, I have it parked with the wheel slightly turned to the right and the key won't slide in more than halfway.

I turned hard left, right, jiggled, etc. Damn thing still won't slide in. I think it's the anti-theft business, but is there a way to make it release?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. It has had trouble starting last few weeks, replaced switch, battery, still was giving me trouble. PITA!

Thanks Impy

Reply to
Impy

SgtSilicon

It will go in a little over half way, and it won't turn. I've banged on the thing, hoping it would free the mechanism, but nothing. Dang thing!

It is an automatic and > Key actually wont "go in" or just won't turn?

Reply to
Impy

Maybe the grade has something to do with it but, usually that is just for the turning part not insertion. Try having a friend push or pull your vehicle just a little bit "up" hill (maybe 3 inches or so). While held "up" try the key business.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I actually took the jack out and raised the car's right side up several inches, but nada. I think it's toast. Gonna drill the sucker.

Thanks for the tips. Poor little Geo, been a good little runner, will miss her.

SgtSilic> Maybe the grade has something to do with it but, usually that is just

Reply to
Impy

Here is an update, if anyone is interested, on my ignition switch:

I drilled the little tab out of the switch and eventually got the new broken switch out. Tried the old one, didn't work. Okay.

I took the old one apart, quite a project, and found the tumbler was broken, that's why when I pressed in harder it sometimes started better.

The 2 week old one is a piece, have to return that thing!

Right now, I have the larger piece of the old broken tumbler stuck on the end of my original key, stick it in, turn it, vroooooooooooom!!!! Man, that felt great yesterday when I finally got it going! Smells like victory. The car starts super duper, mostly, did yesterday, think I left it in acc last night and she was starting slow today, so not entirely sure yet about the starting thing.

So, the moral of the story is, umm, hmm, drill stuff, it's fun and looks cool.

Impy wrote:

Reply to
Impy