Serpentine Belt Replacement

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture and I am probably past due in replacing the serpentine belt. The vehicle has 68,000 miles on it and it is the original belt. It's not in bad shape, but it is beginning to show wear. Since I have yet to replace the belt on this vehicle, I do not know how to go about loosening it up. Does the tensioner just push back, or is there some other way to remove the belt? Thanks.

Reply to
Brew Man

Most tensioners I've had experience with have a nut or a square drive on the face of the pulley.

The tensioner is either pulled up on or pushed down to release the belt tension.

Hopefully your belt will just slip off with nothing in the way like motor mounts.

68,000 isn't that many miles on belt. I've gotten 150,000 + miles on one that I used to rotate with three other belts I had in the trunk. Finally put a new one on in 2003 and threw two of the older ones away.

Good Luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Harry, I fail to see the logic? Didn't you just discredit your own point? If the 150,000 miles was spread out over 4 belts and then were all wore out (requiring a 5th new one in 2003), then they only averaged 37,500 miles a piece. So by that testimony, 68,000 miles should seem like a dream come true for you?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Sgt S

Sometimes I'd forget & rotate the belts after 3 years. And I was putting on 25,000 to 35,000 miles a year back then. One of the belts was the original & i had lost track of the mileage on that one.

harryface

05 Park Avenue 41,449 -Orig Belt

91 Bonneville 307,011

Reply to