2004 Grand Am Key Won't Turn in Ignition

One evening, several months ago, I jumped in this car, stuck the key in as usual (the ignition lock is on the dash), but it would not turn. After uttering a couple of expletives, and wiggling the key around a bit, it worked. I assumed that was my fault ... probably in a hurry and hadn't pushed the key all the way in.

The other morning it happened again. This time the expletives and wiggling didn't work, so we walked the mile and a half back home to get the spare key, thinking that might help. It didn't. Then, as I was disgustedly and recklessly moving to withdraw the key, after pulling it slightly back from full in while still imposing a little clockwise pressure, it turned. I was able to start the car, and drove right over to the Pontiac dealer. The service manager fiddled with it, but since he couldn't force a failure, He advised that they could change the ignition lock cylinder, but that would only be a guess, and one that would cost me about $200 for labor plus $120 for the new part. He didn't advise doing that, saying that he though one of the tumblers in the lock might have just been stuck (it was cold that morning ... only about 17 deg F).

As a maintenance man myself, I know from experience that problems never fix themselves, so although the ignition lock has been working just fine since this episode, I expect it'll happen again. It has also been my experience that failures in a particular system usually develop a history, and a skilled maintenance man will recognize the problem as "typical", and will know what the successful fix is, based upon past experience. He evidently wasn't that experienced, however. This car also has the "ticking emergency flasher" problem that, according to my Internet research, is always caused by fouled contacts on the multifunction (directional signals, headlamp/marker lamps mode) switch. He was pretty sure (incorrectly) that could be fixed by replacing my "shorted emergency flasher", and had never heard about the grease problem with the multifunction switch. (There's an article at "

" which seems to suggest that the "key won't turn" problem is typical with 2004 Grand Ams.) Questions: Do you have any related experience to share? Any fix other than changing the ignition lock cylinder? Can my regular mechanic do it for less money, or does the dealer have to do it because of the anti-theft thing in the key? Your comments will be appreciated.

-=jv=-

Reply to
Jean

Call a locksmith and see how much he charges. When we are busy at my shop, we sub out lock work to a locksmith. He can rebuild the cylinder and make a new key for less than buying the parts. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

"

> model=Grand%20Am&trimid=-1" which seems to suggest that the "key won't> > turn" problem is typical with 2004 Grand Ams.)> >

This happened on my 96 G Am(column mount) while still in warranty. Was real PIA anyway. Dealer towed car. From length of time they had car(2 days) and couple of shavings left in carpet assume they had to drill the cylinder out. IOW, fix is a lot easier while key still works. If you elect not to get it fixed make sure you have paperwork showing the defect existed while it was under warranty. This experience was the impetus for me to get a cell phone.

Reply to
T Shadow

After reading your post carefully it sounds like it may just be a steering lock issue ... the reason that the key does not turn occationally may be because the steering wheel needs to be turned slightly as you turn the key to relieve the pressure off the steering lock ... the steering locks automatically when you take the key out of the ignition after you park the car ... and sometimes this steering lock interfers with the key turning when yo go to resart it ... so next time just try turning the wheel slightly so there is no pressure on the steering lock as you turn the key ... this a quite common issue with all cars believe it or not ... and very difficult to figure out the first time :)

PS - I drive a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am and the key problem with this vehicle (as mentioned by someone else) is actually much more complicated than your problem ... In this vehicle occationally the key gets stuck in the ignition and will not come out at all ... it is very frustrating and very common with the 1996 Grand Am.

Reply to
Healthy Pleasures

Never had the key stick in the lock of my 96. I did have the key not turning problem once before but played around with it and as you say turning the wheels was mentioned in owners manual. Don't remember what actually happened to cause it to release. The second time it happened neither I or the mechanic the dealer sent out could get it to release.

The service manager didn't act like it was an uncommon situation. No problems in the ~8years since. Murphy's law says if it can go wrong it will, at the worst possible time. If I'd taken another 10 minutes to figure out it was a real problem I'd have had a several mile walk into town. Yeah, I need the exercise but................................

Reply to
T Shadow