94 Jimmy 4WD continued

Thanks for the responses to my earlier posts.

So far I have replaced the vacuum lines, transfer case vacuum switch and the vacuum actuator (which, btw, is NOW an aftermarket item available at NAPA, 2 days after I paid $85 for it at dealer-only price lol)... put it up on stands and verified that the transfer case is working (front drive shaft is turning, front axle is not).

In the process of changing the actuator (which needed to be replaced due to torn diaphragm), I noticed that the front axle shift cable pulls very hard... it seems to drop into place, but takes a lot more pull-pressure than that vacuum actuator will provide...

the plan now is to replace the shift cable and the front axle shift assembly (fork, washers and springs)... since all of these parts are approx. $100, I figure to kill all the birds with the one stone so to speak and just replace the entire assembly...

Can anyone tell me what kind of problems to anticipate when doing this? What should I look for in the fork/shift assembly when taking it apart/reassembling? How easily should the shift cable pull the thing into gear?

Comments/Hints/Suggestions very much appreciated from you folks!

TIA, Steve

Reply to
Steve