95 GP with 3.1 surging

My 95 Pontiac GrandPrix with 3.1 is surging. Not bad, VERY subtle. I have no error codes, other than EGR (I know I have a clog) but the surge is under light acceleration, and the EGR shouldn't affect that.

Anyway, I'm gonna try a soak-out of the EGR this weekend if the weather is nice and I can work on the car. For the surge issue, I'm thinking maybe just shotgun with new plugs, and possibly test the wires to see.

Anything else obvious to go for? If plugs don't help, I may just try new wires. As far as I can tell they are original with 135K on them.

Reply to
Mike Y

Plugs and wires would certainly be in order for that car then. If that does not fix it, check the TPS adjustment.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well, I did some work Saturday before a trip and pulled a couple of the plugs. They looked fine, as far as I could see. They were Bosch Platinum. No dirt, no flaking. The wires were also Bosch Super something or other, and I didn't see any signs of cracking or leakage. I didn't go so far as to spray them with mist from a Windex bottle and then slide a neon bulb up and down, but they seemed ok.

Anyway, I also pulled the digital EGR valves off. I started the car and sprayed carb cleaner in the intake. It seemed to 'open up' and start sucking. I put it back on and no 'service engine soon' light. Until today. Took over 100 miles, and it came on as I got off the highway and came down an exit ramp after a

50+ mile run. So I may have to do it again.

Oh, I also put some injector cleaner in the tank, and the surging seems to have stopped. At least, I didn't notice it. But then, I didn't specifically try to look for it or set up the conditions where I know it was more likely to happen.

Reply to
Mike Y