Help with Hesitation and Misfire Diagnosis

Hey everyone,

I have a 95 Grand Prix GTP with a 3.4L DOHC, 248000km's. Lately (well, for a couple months now) I've been having a significant (and quite regular) hesitation upon initial acceleration when the engine is both cold or warm, and when at a stop, in drive, with my foot on the brake, I'm getting intermittent misfires. I've changed the EGR valve and PCV valve, as well as my plugs without any change. I do not have my SES light coming on or any error codes stored, and the throttle position sensor and oxygen sensor(s) are working properly according to the code reader. Now I'm guessing that it's either my wires, coil pack, or ignition module, but could someone help shed some light on my problem?

Any ideas? And please take it easy on me, I'm just beginning to build my automotive knowledgebase.

Thanks.

-407

Reply to
Aaron407

dbkcrazyk

sounds to me like plug wires or a dirty maf sensor. most likely plug wires, but it never hurts to clean the maf sensor.

Reply to
dbkcrazyk

You were right on the money. After pulling out some rubber spacers that were around the spark plug boot, I found arcing coming through the boot, even though there wasn't a visible hole. I changed the plug wire and it runs beautifully now without any of the misfires or hesitations.

Thanks!

-407

Reply to
Aaron407