98 Lumina LS Airbags

Mechanic's question, 98 Lumina LS Airbags install Car5 was hit on drivers wheel / fender not other damage A-arm, CV axel, strut, inner tie rod, & fender damaged then airbags deployed. I talked to 2 different GM dealer parts department got 2 different answers.

Question was 2 parts, Do I need to change the sensors & module to reset the airbags? 1 said yes I have to change all but never looked up the parts for me. The other looked up the part numbers & cost & they said from what they can see there was only a module & said it doesn't look to have any sensors.

Now which is true. on a Ford crown vic I fixed I only had to change the airbag module & bags. is the 98 Lumina the same way? but on a Dodge ram I fixed I had to change both sensors & module.

Reply to
Colt & Brooke

Your car does not have sensors, external to the module. The module has the sensor built in.

Reply to
johnoz19

So then if I disconnect the battery & kill all the power, swap the module for a new one & replace the airbags this should reset the system?

Reply to
Colt & Brooke

I'm not an SIR expert. I am just reprinting pieces of the service manual. It says to replace the VATS (vehicle anti theft) module. It is behind the pass. side air bag and it must get damaged during the explosion. When you carry or install air bags always expect they're going to explode in your hands. Carry one with the bag toward you and the metal parts of it away from you. Set it on a bench metal down and bag up. Be careful, the bag can send a steering column through a wall! My job for awhile, was to explode scrap bags (in a special cage) with a 9 volt battery and 30 foot of wire.

Remove Fuse 21 from the IP fuse block.

Caution: If any water enters the vehicle's interior up to the level of the carpet or higher and soaks the carpet, the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) and the SDM harness connector may need to be replaced.

After a collision involving air bag deployment, replace the following components. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

Inflatable restraint IP (inflator) module

Inflatable restraint steering wheel (inflator) module

Inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)

Vehicle theft deterrent module

After a collision involving air bag deployment, inspect the Inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil and the coil wiring pigtail for melting, scorching, or other damage due to excessive heat. Perform this component inspection in addition to the inspections indicated above in Accident With or Without Air Bag Deployment. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair the component or replace the hardware as needed.

Install Fuse 21 to the IP fuse block. Install the IP fuse block door. Refer to Fuse Block in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console. Staying well away from both air bags, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. The AIR BAG warning lamp will flash seven times. The AIR BAG warning lamp will then turn OFF. Perform the SIR Diagnostic System Check if the AIR BAG warning lamp does not operate as described.

Reply to
johnoz19

thanks. I will check my parents 98 Lumina first they also have a deployed bags but there windshield has not been replaced yet.. As for mine. I replaced the window first. So if it goes off, I waste a windshield.

Reply to
Colt & Brooke