99 Cavalier indoor fan down to 1 speed...

With summer here, my car's fan is down to one speed, high and noisy, I have to turn up the radio to hear it.

I opened the dash (as best as possible), checked the 4 position selector switch, completely. Clean, lubed and in working order. Then I pulled the heater/AC blower motor out, removed some dry leaves and found at that 2-wire harness, with the car engine running, I was getting:

1.8 volts on low, 2.5 volts on the next speed, 11 volts on the next, and 14 volts at high. The blower motor looked good.

Now there's got to be a hidden resistor card somewhere and I suspect that it's the culprit.

Any ideas on where to look, or do I just keep excavating?

Before the fan speeds stopped working, I found that they were not set well for user comfort. I really want one in the middle, a bit of air but not so much noise. Maybe I can splice in different resistor, if that's what it takes.

Any suggestions on the repair?

TIA,

Dave, "AC questions gladly replied to."

Reply to
Dave L.

What your hearing is the Blower Motor going bad. The bushings inside are fried, and they are not user serviceable parts. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Just had the exact same problem with my '97 Cavalier. Blower resistor was the culprit. It is right behind the blower motor, right up against the firewall. Takes a bit of patience to get a driver on the nuts, but it is a quick fix none the less.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Hazelton

Jason,

What amazes me is that the only way to get at that resistor and motor is with a

7/32" socket, or 5.5 mm if you're so inclined. Where do they get this screws? Bargin bins by the truckload?

Dave

Reply to
Dave L.

I have a flexible extension in one of my socket sets and found that it came in very handy for this job.

Reply to
Jason Hazelton