99 chev Venture headlight always on at night?

Oh Oh, do I already see an electrical issue with my newly acquired 99' Chevy Venture? Basically I can't turn the headlights off when its nighttime, the sensor just automatically turn it on. There is a dial control just to the left of the steering wheel that has the three symbol, the O on the left, the LampOn on the right, and the two- opposite-light symbol in the middle. I turn the knob to all of them one at a time but the headlight just won't go off. Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree because I don't have a manual for the car and can't tell what everything means, but I am guessing this dial operates the headlights and the O is supposed to turn it off. Is there something else I need to do if I need to turn off all external lights when the engine is on? Sometimes I am in the parking lot warming up the car and idling, I just don't need the lights on.

Reply to
Joseph

That is the way they work. If the engine is running at night the sensor turns the headlights on. The switch will turn them on in the daytime.

Reply to
Woody

Sounds like DRLs, a thing about GM vehicles that tick a lot of people off. See here for instructions on how to disable this "safety? feature:

Sharon Cooke

It is by design. GM's non-standard implementation of lighting controls are maddening for many people. Hope you don't belong to an astrology club...GM vehicles not allowed!

Reply to
jcr

That is the way they work. I just put in a toggle switch about four weeks ago. This does the trick. I have a 2000 chev Venture.

Chris

Reply to
ChrisGW

Reply to
Buster

Unfortunately, automatic systems to make drivers turn their lights on just irritate a lot of drivers.

Maybe you car has a way to turn them off in circumstances where they are not needed and are in fact offensive, and maybe not.

We have a lot of fools on the road here who grouse about the automatic systems and go through contortions to try to circumvent them, but then drive without their lights on at dusk, at night, or in rain. These people will kill you.

Sometimes people who depend upon their DRLs and who do not turn their low beams on in the rain will kill you too. Especially if the taillights are not part of the DRL system

Admittedly, I have little patience for this (It is a state law to use lights during these conditions, but it is poorly enforced)

Reply to
<HLS

He can't do this, He lives in Canada where DRL's are mandatory (since

92 IIRC) also he lives in Ontario, depending on where he takes the van for its bi-annual smog check they could refuse to do the check or insist on it being fixed before hand due to "a safety" feature of the vehicle isn't working correctly.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Sounds like a good idea. If I can't figure out how to get this to work I might have to put in a toggle switch like you did. I am curious though, how do you run the wires from teh engine compartment into the drivers compartment? Did u have to drill a hole through the firewall? Or is there some existing conduits that can be used?

Reply to
Joseph