99 park 2000 Lesabre Transmission Shift Woes

Hello group, I have a question on 2 cars, my 99 Park Avenue 3800 and my inlaw 2000 Lesabre. Park Avenue 99kmiles - Lesabrea 70kmiles

My Park when changing gears in a quick maneuver, That the transmission does a violent jerk, some times when coming out of reverse while the car is in motion going backward I sometimes put it in drive.. My question is are these GM Transmission design that way, What i mean is i cant do a quick gear selection from park into reveres, vice versa with out getting a hard jerk when i put the car in to drive. Is the Transmission slow responding when going into gear. I come from a Ford famliy, I have a Mercury, only noticed this on GM, rented a Bonnieville it did same thing some years ago, Did a 3 point turn in a busy road.. Thats what i mean when changing out one gear to the other and pressing the accelrator.

My Inlaws Lesabre hers car jerk hard when placed into gear. The engine is idling is normal. Your input appreciated.

Im going to get my Transmission Flushed i hear they need to be changed exactly as the manual say.. I told my inlaw to do the same..

-- Jay Smit

Reply to
Jay Smit

You should come to darn near a complete stop before changing from reverse to drive or vise-versa and wait for the new gear selected to engage _completely_ before applying the throttle again. GM trannies do seem to go into gear more "solidly" than some other manufacturers (from my experience as well). But, I don't think that is a problem particularly. Now if it were slipping..that's a different story!

Regular scheduled transmission fluid and filter service is a good thing, yes have that done if it's due.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

take it to the dealership they have a software up date for shift problems they will hook up a tech 2 diag. and see if any updates are available for your car any gm dealer will have the ability.

Reply to
Hay Now

I always stop, shift to neutral, and then drive(actually just go slow enough through the gears with the lever). Never jerks. Old habit from driving stick.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander