A/C Compressor locks up and belt squeals on 84 Cutlass...

The belt on the a/c compressor squeals and the compressor locks up at all speeds, idle, city, highway, etc. Any ideas? Loose belt, worn belt, etc? It worked for a few weeks with no squealing when I got the car and over the past couple months since I?ve had it, it?s gotten worse. It used to only do it on the highway, now it?s all the time. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Shep

As Shep says, the compressor is seizing. You said the compressor stays locked up, another sign of an AC problem. Better plan now because that belt will be smoking and breaking off there soon. If it also turns the water pump you don't want to compound your problems. On many models you could take that AC belt off and not lose any functions. Sometimes the PS had two belts including the one from the AC, but the PS will work fine with only the one belt.

Reply to
Al Bundy

To things are possible, the system is over charged or the compressor is worn and siezing up when hot. My nickle is on the later. A better belt is not going to fix this. You need to runs a pressure check on system and if it is withing specs, it is time to lot for another compressor.

Reply to
SnoMan

It only squeals when the a/c is turned on. The belt for the a/c seems to be more loose than the others so I will try tightening it some. If it is the compressor, how much do those usually cost? Thanks for all the feedback!

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

On my 1983 Grand Prix the AC compressor was about $120 at Napa for a rebuilt one, this should be the same for yours.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Dardamar

seems

WHen the A/C is off the compressor is not runnin as there is a clutch in it that disengages the internal parts. Tightming it will not do a thing and is a waste of time. On price you could call someplace like Advanced Auto for a quote.

Reply to
SnoMan

Sno, perhaps you should reread what you quoted. He said it only squeals when the A/C is ON. H

Reply to
Hairy

No kidding??? I said that because I do not think he realizes that a seize compressor places no load on belt when it is off line. (as he said it is "fine" when A/C is off) Do not assume I did not "read" it.

Reply to
SnoMan

No kidding??? I said that because I do not think he realizes that a seize compressor places no load on belt when it is off line. (as he said it is "fine" when A/C is off) Do not assume I did not "read" it.[/quote:df08e20e9d]

I appreicate all the help......but is there ANY possibility a bad belt could cause this? I?m just trying to avoid spending money anyway I can cuz I just had to replace the starter a couple days ago, lol. But if it is the compressor, is it easy to install like an alternator or is it something I have to take to a shop? Thanks!

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

No kidding??? I said that because I do not think he realizes that a seize compressor places no load on belt when it is off line. (as he said it is "fine" when A/C is off) Do not assume I did not "read" it.[/quote:e703f20ca4]

I appreicate all the help......but is there ANY possibility a bad belt could cause this? I?m just trying to avoid spending money anyway I can cuz I just had to replace the starter a couple days ago, lol. But if it is the compressor, is it easy to install like an alternator or is it something I have to take to a shop? Thanks![/quote:e703f20ca4]

No on the belt, I mean you no offence but a lot of people are typically in denial when a problem like this comes up. I have seen people be stuborn about it and try stronger tigher belt only to have them rip off when compressor siezes going down the road and in doing so take out the other belts on a older car in the process from piece flying around as belt comes apart. I have even seen a radiator and shrouds damaged from it too.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:e703f20ca4="1984CutlassSupreme"][quote:e703f20ca4="SnoM > an"][quote:e703f20ca4="Hairy"] > > Sno, perhaps you should reread what you quoted. He said it > only squeals when the A/C is ON. > H[/quote:e703f20ca4] > > No kidding??? I said that because I do not think he realizes > that a seize compressor places no load on belt when it is off > line. (as he said it is "fine" when A/C is off) Do not assume > I did not "read" it.[/quote:e703f20ca4] > > I appreicate all the help......but is there ANY possibility a > bad belt could cause this? I'm just trying to avoid spending > money anyway I can cuz I just had to replace the starter a > couple days ago, lol. But if it is the compressor, is it easy > to install like an alternator or is it something I have to > take to a shop? Thanks![/quote:e703f20ca4] > > No on the belt, I mean you no offence but a lot of people are > typically in denial when a problem like this comes up. I have > seen people be stuborn about it and try stronger tigher belt > only to have them rip off when compressor siezes going down > the road and in doing so take out the other belts on a older > car in the process from piece flying around as belt comes > apart. I have even seen a radiator and shrouds damaged from it > too.

that happened to me on my last car, a 1988 Caprice Classic...had to replace all the belts lol. Thanks for the reply...I?ll just look into a new compressor then.

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

I understand what you are saying. And I know the OP said the compressor locks up at all speeds. However, a loose/glazed belt can give the appearance of locking up when the load exceeds the belts ability to transfer the load. Since he says the belt is "looser than the others", I would not assume the compressor is locking up without that extra diagnostic step that you call a waste of time. Considering the age of the car, it may well be a bad compressor, but I would eliminate all other possibilities before throwing hundreds of dollars at it. H

Reply to
Hairy

A/C compressor is shot Replace it problem will go away

Reply to
MegroeG

assume

I guess you have not see many lock up then. It is purely wishful thinking to think that the compressoer is okay and it is just a belt problem. How many belts do you go through before you admit defeat then?

Reply to
SnoMan

I don't necessarily think the compressor is ok. Nor do I think it is a belt problem. The diagnostics have not yet been done. It may be wishful thinking. It is also possible that it is a belt problem. Your inability to admit it just shows what a hack you are.

How many parts do you throw at a problem without doing proper diagnostics?

Reply to
Hairy

maybe i?ll just bring it to one of those Ice Cold A/C places to diagnose it once i sort the starter issue out, lol. I appreciate all the feedback and advice.

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

Hey it is your nickle, they will charge you 100 bucks or more to tell you need a new compressor, then stick you again for price of compressor. You need to be shopping around for best price to get it replacednot whether it is bad or not. It is 21 years old and it is a miracle that it lasted this long and they typically last a much shorter time.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:f217926d2c="1984CutlassSupreme"]maybe i'll just bring > it to one of those Ice Cold A/C places to diagnose it once i > sort the starter issue out, lol. I appreciate all the > feedback and advice.[/quote:f217926d2c] > > Hey it is your nickle, they will charge you 100 bucks or more > to tell you need a new compressor, then stick you again for > price of compressor. You need to be shopping around for best > price to get it replacednot whether it is bad or not. It is 21 > years old and it is a miracle that it lasted this long and > they typically last a much shorter time.

yea i was surprised when i got the car. the a/c didnt even work in the 88 caprice classic i traded for the cutlass. ...anywyas, ive found some reasonably priced compressors at advance auto parts....so is this something i could install at home?

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

One problem is that this system is for R-12 refrigerant. This is very expensive if you can find it. You'll want to look into a R-134a conversion. Some people say that they are not satisfied with a conversion because cool air output is less than expected.

Hairy is right: Eliminate the simple before assuming the more expensive fix.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan